Project 81 HACK JOB TRACK TIMES!!!!

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
Only 10 cars running ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D It was nice as hell with no cars there.

12 runs for Hack Job :eek::nice:

MODS:

4.6L 2V
T45
New FMS clutch
Steeda Shifter
Steeda Sport Lowering Springs
3.73's
CAI
BBK o/r H-pipe
MAC Catback
Mega Bite Jr. UCA & LCA
No tune.
285-40-R17 Goodyear Eagle F1's--BIG MISTAKE :notnice:

1st four runs were right after I got done driving 70 miles to the track, with no cool down, ran only 14.6's.

After a nice cool down, I let some air out of the Eagle F1's and feathered the gas through 1st and especially in 2nd gear. The tires acted like they hit a patch of ice when I grabbed 2nd gear normal or really hard. Then next few runs were 14.40's then the about three or four 14.2s.

The best run of the day was 14.251 @ 99.36 with a 2.168 60ft.

Funny because the red hatch I was racing most of the time was ran a 13.890 @ 98.82 with a 2.054 60 ft. He had stock a stock block, stock cam, Windsor heads, Trick Flow Track Heat, CAI, pullies, 3.73, 2500 stall, and M/T slicks. I think it was just a slow day for everyone. Another guy had HCI PowerDyne S/C and ran 13.4's to 13.6's @ 106MPH...then he put on BFG DR's and ran 13.1-13.3 @ 107MPH. I thought he should have went faster.

I will be heading back to the track next time with Nitto's and Hack Job will run 13.8's to 14.0's. I am happy with 14.2 though. I did not build Hack Job to be a drag car, I built it to be different, reliable, fun, and to look good.

I will post an in car sound only video. Camera was in the cup holder...My computer is uploading it VEEEEERRRYYY slowly right now.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks. The guys I met there, were locals. They lived 5 minutes away. I'm 65 miles away...haha. They all said they changed the lights at the end, and they think that is why the MPH is reading slow. The launch pad is the worst thing I have ever seen. It is unlevel, not maintained, and cleaned with a mop. But If I go to Milan, it's 35 bucks, and I prolly would have gotten 2 or 3 runs in the same 4 hours and there would have been 100's of cars. Milan is too big, it's nicer, you run faster, but it's not worth it. :rolleyes:

Same thing with me man. I have Raceway Park in Englishtown. Thats an NHRA sanctioned track, Or i have Atco raceway. A whole in the ground. That place you can get a dozen runs in for a cheap price. Englishtown - you'd be there all night for a MAXIUM of 3 runs. :rolleyes:

Yeah E-town you barely get any runs lately....3 if your lucky ....lol

You couldnt hook with F1's ??? I have them om my SRT-8 Magnum and i get great 60's with them i run 1.8's what was your tire pressure? how long did you heat them?

Yeah E-town you barely get any runs lately....3 if your lucky ....lol

You couldnt hook with F1's ??? I have them om my SRT-8 Magnum and i get great 60's with them i run 1.8's what was your tire pressure? how long did you heat them?

No, the F1's are the worst tire I have ever used at the track. I had bald BFG KDWS's on my 96 Cobra before the blower, and I pulled a 2.005 60ft and ran 13.50's. I have never had a tire spin in 2nd gear like the F1. I honestly thought that I was on ice, the revolutions the tires made was insane. I had to back off the gas because the tires were spinning so fast, I was getting very squirrly. If I kept on it, I would have gotten sideways and that is dangerous at the track.

The tire pressure was around 24-25ish. I didn't want to let too much out because it doesn't really help street tires. I have run Nitto's at 15psi before and they hooked extremely well. I didn't heat the F1's that much. I just burned out a little in 1st gear to get the rocks off of the tires. I don't want to tear up Hack Job because all the drivetrain is new and works very well. I screwed up my Cobra by heating the tires so much. I smoked my diff, and my clutch doesn't disengage fully, causing problems on the street that really piss me off...:D I'm gonna mount up some Nitto's and go back sometime I have a free day. But like I said, I didn't build Hack Job to be a drag car. I guess low 14's isn't bad considering the tire spin, and over in 4.6L forums most of the cars stock and mildy modified are running 14.1-14.6 at 96-100MPH depending on track conditions and temp.

woah wait, i just realized that you have cupholders in your fox!!!!

nice times too.

:lol: Yes I do! hehe...two of them. I love having the new console in there.

Oh....these two guys that came to check out the car asked how it was running. I didn't have the hood popped, and they didn't see the dash.

ME: The tires are spinning, I'm thinking of running it with traction control.

THEM: Traction control? This doesn't have traction control!! (*Laughing*)

ME: *Pops hood, points at ABS unit*

THEM: *Eyes pop out of head* "We thought this sounded like a mod motor! I knew it wasn't a 302"

:rlaugh:

Wow im really surprised you couldnt hook...I run 12.0 @ 118 spraying of the line on F1's i never had any traction issues...I ran 33 psi to i never lowered the air pressure in mine....Maybe i just lucky...And ive run nittos too on my old Iroc 350 tpi car also spraying off the line....i ran 1.7's with about 28 psi in them....Maybe e-town as a sticky track....

By the way your car is awesome looking...and i would be happy if my 85 would run as good as yours at the Track...some nitto's that car is going to haul......:nice:

Wow im really surprised you couldnt hook...I run 12.0 @ 118 spraying of the line on F1's i never had any traction issues...I ran 33 psi to i never lowered the air pressure in mine....Maybe i just lucky...And ive run nittos too on my old Iroc 350 tpi car also spraying off the line....i ran 1.7's with about 28 psi in them....Maybe e-town as a sticky track....

By the way your car is awesome looking...and i would be happy if my 85 would run as good as yours at the Track...some nitto's that car is going to haul......:nice:

Those are some great times. 12.0 is cookin!:eek:

I guarantee you were at a better track. There isn't much worse than Lapeer. The launch pad looks like Swiss Cheese, or Freddy Kruegers face. :D There is so many holes, and chuncks of rubber. There is also a dip there from so many passes. Milan is always like new, nice and flat, they are always burning off old rubber between runs. We could hook there with mini spares. At Lapeer, they never burn that crap off or clean it. I feel bad for the water box guys. The water box looks like a couple of rain puddles.

Holy crap? You retained the ABS and T/C from the newer setup too?? And you call this car hack job why???

Oh, don't run with the T/C on. It's more like Traction Killer. If you get wheel spin and hold WOT it will disable cylinders and HP like crazy. You will think your car fell on it's face. I found this out when i first got my car and raced a civic with the T/C on. I pulled 3 cars off the civic off the line, nailed 2nd, spin the tires and t/c kicked in and just stopped me even though i was still mashing the gas pedal. The civic farted by like I was standing still :(

Holy crap? You retained the ABS and T/C from the newer setup too?? And you call this car hack job why???

Oh, don't run with the T/C on. It's more like Traction Killer. If you get wheel spin and hold WOT it will disable cylinders and HP like crazy. You will think your car fell on it's face. I found this out when i first got my car and raced a civic with the T/C on. I pulled 3 cars off the civic off the line, nailed 2nd, spin the tires and t/c kicked in and just stopped me even though i was still mashing the gas pedal. The civic farted by like I was standing still :(

Yes I did. :D It is very nice having ABS in that car, and the traction control as helped me out when I got caught in the rain a couple times. I was once going around a corner while on the gas, I felt the car start to get sideways, and the T/C kicked in and saved my butt. I'll take your advice and not use it. I thought that it would kill me in first, but possibly help me in 2nd because the amount of time I left off for tire spin might have been more than the T/C kicking in, but I will take your word for it, thanks!!

I named the car Hack Job because my first couple posts of progress threads were flamed. A handful of members called me a Hack for ruining a four-eyed car. The arguments got bad and the thread was closed. So I decided to call it Project 81 Hack Job...:D The car is an 81, that I converted over to a 87-93 on the outside. The interior is 2001 dash, seats, console, carpet, and rear seat, and the rest is 91-93 door panels, quarter trim etc....

nice times. car sounds awsome. looks like it would be a nice race between hackjob an my lx :nice:

Thanks man. It would be a good race. I kept getting faster and faster throughout the day, and the 14.251 run was the best of the three 14.2's I had. I wanted to squeak a 14.0 or 14.1, but I ran 14 times (completed 12 though, 2 runs I backed out of because 2nd gear got me sideways.) I didn't want to beat it anymore this trip.

nice. mine has some problems in 2nd an 3rd. i just kept in it an kept goosin the throttle. my 14.0 was after 5 other close times. i ran 14.17, 14.14, 14.14, 14.12 an then my 14.0. it was a good night. first pass was a 14.32. i have yet to go back becuz of the windows but im tryin to go back on slicks :lol:

Thats not bad and 100 mph is good for 13s once your used to. Noone runs their best time the first time, so once you've learned what she likes and get some more seat time, I see middle to upper 13s 101-102 mph. Thats a solid number for a comfy street cruiser.

Thats not bad and 100 mph is good for 13s once your used to. Noone runs their best time the first time, so once you've learned what she likes and get some more seat time, I see middle to upper 13s 101-102 mph. Thats a solid number for a comfy street cruiser.

Thanks 25th. It did feel good to get out there that is for sure. I'm glad I know where the car is at now. I kind of knew where it was at when I pulled that 07-08 GT on the street, but that was a 2nd gear roll, and I hate doing that on the street these days.

I hope upper 13's are possible with nothing but a tire. I wonder what a tune would do as well, but it'll be expensive so maybe next year. I just can't wait to get the car on Mustang Alley at the WWDC 2008. I would love to see your car there 25th, you would attract a nice crowd that is for sure!!!!:nice: