Project: At Home Waiting

FoxGT87

5 Year Member
Aug 1, 2009
St.pete FL
i've been doing some things to the car, and figured i would start a project thread to save the things that have and will be done to my 87 hatch. project is called At Home Waiting because i will be leaving for NAVY bootcamp in November and most likely won't have any REAL progress on it until i come back from bootcamp or my first tour.

how ever recently i have had a lot of hack job electrical issues taken care of. so now i have dash lights, windshield wipers, blinkers (all at the same time). New RAM clutch was installed a few months ago as well.

Currently i am working on sanding/painting and installing a new front bumper and it should be on this weekend. the car got out of my hands and ran up a curb/slight grass incline. i feel like a dumbas for letting it happen.

next which will be happening the second week of march is a new transmission from astro performance. going with their super alloy Z spec tranny. being that i can drive out to their shop i am getting a really good deal on it. saving $150 on freight costs and around 80 dollars on taxes. so the cost of this trans should be around $930.

pictures to start this thing off coming soon. the camera is MIA. goal is tomorrow to be done with the painting and have it installed. pictures tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

Parts list

• J and M Rear Lower control arms 1 ~ $160
• Strange Adjustable shocks and struts front/rear ~ $380
• Subframe connector from American muscle ~ $100
• Springs ~ estimated $360
• Bushing kit ~ $50
• C and L 73mm MAF calibrated for 22 lb injectors ~ $160
• Venom high performance 24lb injectors ~ $220
• Stack racing 70mm Throttle body ~$140
• TFS 51402000 Track max cam shaft ~ $180
• TFS Twisted Wedge Heads 170cc ~ $1,200
• Timing Chain ~ $40
• TFS-51400510 1.6 roller rocker arms ~ $270
• Misc Gaskets and such ~ $300

New transmission ~ $950~ bought
Rear end rebuild kit + install of gears ~ $400ish

is a traction lock kit a must have when putting gears in cause i could have my 3.55s in a lot sooner if i didn't have to fork out another 200 dollars for a traction lock kit. this is all of the parts that i want to put on my car once i start making some money working for the NAVY.

a t-lok isnt REQUIRED but its recommended if you're having trouble spinning both tires. the factory units wear out after a few years and its pretty common. You can snag an FRPP one for about $200 so its worth it to just go ahead and get it

i got my ford racing posi in a kit with the rear end rebuild kit for like $330 i believe and then it was like another hundred or so for the gears and well worth it!!! plus youll still be in the ball park for money. especially if you can get it through somwhere that has flat rate of free shipping

i got a set of gears in the garage have had them in there for a while. i was quoted $102 for the master rebuild kit and 192 for the traklok. so 300 bucks + having my mechanic install or 35 dollars for bad shoe productions 8.8 rebuild DVD cause from what i have read a rear end is one of the more complicated parts of a car. from what i have read its something like transmision then rear end in difficulty of rebuilding. hopefully im wrong.

Setting pinion depth is the only real difficult part of gear installation but there's quite a few tools required and it takes some time. It's one of the few things I'd rather have someone else do.

It's one of the few things I'd rather have someone else do.

yeah im just now getting out of the habbit of "having someone else do everything" so i think i will leave the diff switch to my mechanic. he even said its one of his least favorite jobs. so add the cost of a mechanic and its going to be a long time before i can switch the 3.55's in. i really hate these 4.30s. maybe they wont be so horrible in a couple weeks with the 2.95 ratio first gear and a trans that doesn't grind or NOT like to downshift.

just laid down the second coat of primer, and wet sanded. was wondering how i should get the rub-off from the sanding off? warm water? warm water and soap? just wiping it down didnt seem to do much. i am trying not to disturb the primer.

EDIT: i ended up using some warm water and was very gentle with it. success. now i know what to do with the blue coat.

thinking about a third coat of primer. running out of day light but i think i will just finish the painting tomorrow. and give it a third coat of primer tonight, or am i just being finicky?

i need some advice on rivets, i know i need to drill them out to get them out, but how do i put them back in? is it worth messing around with it or should i just go buy some hardware and forget about the rivets. advice would be nice.

alright here are the pics, not done yet. as you can see the replacement bumper has kind of messed up holes where the headlights go and i really need to reuse my old one.

DSCF7608.jpg

DSCF7609.jpg

slight damage to the radiator
DSCF7610.jpg

DSCF7611.jpg

DSCF7612.jpg

DSCF7613.jpg

the new bumper primed.

DSCF7618.jpg

DSCF7619.jpg

the blemishes

frozen nuts wont come out.
DSCF7620.jpg

big freakin hole
DSCF7621.jpg

The original bumper's headlight piece.
DSCF7623.jpg

DSCF7622.jpg

so any help on that rivet thing would be greatly appreciated.

lol im sorry but really?

sadly, yeah really. :nonono: yeah i have been looking for info on this for a good 30 minutes. and i now know how a rivet is goes on but a lot of the info i have found is on fabric and stuff. one of the things i have found uses a pop rivet tool, but i know thats not going to work on the aplication.

im trying to get this installed this weekend. but i got a ton of schoolwork to do. i just realised that im like way behind.

are there any tools that can help me do this or should i just do it with some small nuts/bolts. which i found out that thats bad if the objects being fastened are going to be moving side to side. i would like to keep it looking the way it should.

you need to get a rivet gun and some rivets and just rivet the bumper into place.

you can get a rivet gun at lowes for around $20. you might need to get some washers to go with the rivets so they hold better. Its not hard, just stick the rivet in the hole and pull the trigger a few times until it "pops".

you need to get a rivet gun and some rivets and just rivet the bumper into place.

you can get a rivet gun at lowes for around $20. you might need to get some washers to go with the rivets so they hold better. Its not hard, just stick the rivet in the hole and pull the trigger a few times until it "pops".

cool, i was thinking i needed to be on both sides of the object i needed to use the rivet gun on. this item will get bought sunday morning bumper will be installed then. thanks.

You need one of these (riveter):

Heavy_Duty_Double-Hold_Hand_Riveter.jpg

Make sure it is rated for METAL rivets, and popular sizes like 1/8" and 3/16"

Not to be confused with rivet guns, the smaller, lighter duty pieces of crap, that are typically only meant for plastic rivets.

hp2.jpg

Update, got the rivets out, need to do a good wet sand of the blue paint and then i plan on doing wet sanding every 2 coats of clear 2-3 times. i get my transmission next week can't wait. i think the very next thing i buy is going to be a short throw shifter.

the big update here is, im leaving the house in 10 minutes to bus out to Tampa. im taking my physical tomorrow morning and signing my contract with the NAVY. hopefully i get a little signing bonus, they are giving them to the reservists like crazy. im not going reserves, but still hoping i get 10-20g's (buddy in reserves got 20g's a week and a half ago) so i will tell you all what job i got and what not.

wish me luck :flag: