pros and cons of summit forged and hypereutectic rebuild kit

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the pro to the hypereutic is obviously the cost. That's the only advantage that I know of. Cons? Won't stand up to boost or nitrous like a forged set-up will. However, if you are building a mild motor and have no plans to run boost or spray, you should be fine with the hypereutics.

the only difference should be in durability (as far as hyper vs forged). the hyper pistons would be more likely to crack/break under detonation. with that being said, if you have a good tune it shouldn't matter. even forged parts break, its all about the "safety net".

-steve

edit: in other words: you can spray all you want as long as the tune is spot on or maybe slightly rich and your timing is backed off accordingly.

**FORGED PISTONS ARE NOT THE SAVING GRACE OF THE WORLD, THEY'RE JUST EXTRA INSURANCE FOR THOSE UNPLANNED MOMENTS**

The Shape said:
:OT: You go to school to learn not play on the net :nono:

Where are you at in Arkansas...?

On topic: The hyper pistons are a bit lighter but the forged are a bit stronger...depends on what you want...

I plan on rebuilding early this summer...anyone had a rebuild with either kit...?

David

I have the forged kit in my room. Con of the forged kit-have a coating on the thrust side that leaves a nice oily black residue in the cylinder when your checking your clearances. One more con of the hyper-kit, which is why I didn't get it, compression. 9.08:1 with a 58 cc chamber head. I'm running my stock heads with 61-62 cc chamber, I would be well into 8:1, lower than stock and not good for N/A power . Good for a blower, but you can't blow it with hyper's (not without sweating anyway). Anyway, nice kit, all new bearings, rings, all the gaskets, even comes with new valve seals, oil pump, injector o-ring seals, can't do it for cheaper. May want to consider balancing if you plan on excessive rpm's, the forged kit is kinda heavy. I asked my machinist and he said since I'm goin from a forged piston to another forged piston and I don't plan on 6000+ rpm I should be alright. Another Pro of hypereutectic kit-they don't swell as much from heat as a forged piston letting you run less piston to wall clearance, less likelyhood of piston slap after some miles (from what I've heard).

Okay, so its not a Ford kit but, I bought the hyper kit from summit for my 355 Chevy build. I got 11.5:1 pistons and have it assembled. I have not run it yet, I do not intend to spray it. IMO don't even think of bottle feeding the hyper kit. Also, hyper pistons are ok, light, durable, they do have problems. Like piston ring end gaps are very touchy. They expand worse than forged, and if your ring end gaps are not big enough, they will actually pop the tops off of the pistons. SEEN IT. Some guys go as far as to leave the top ring off of them. They are great for the money, but do your homework, and if you are a novice with the jug, your gonna poop the things quickly. BUY FORGED. :spot: