Pro's/Cons of keeping EGR???

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
I live in canada, and there is no emission testing up here. what benefits (if any) can be had from removing all the egr stuff? i have already removed my smog pump and lines, with O/R x-pipe also. what is to be gained/ lost by getting rid of the egr stuff? i'm looking to clean up the engine bay, and deal with my stupid egr code i keep getting on my scanner.... but i heard it's not a bad idea to keep the egr also....?

• Sponsors (?)

To delete the EGR properly, you need to have a custon chip burned to adjust the fuel curves to compensate for the lack of inert air pumped into the engine by the EGR at part-throttle otherwise you will be driving under a slightly lean condition if you remove it without a tune.

It's just easier to keep it functional and intact.

To delete the EGR properly, you need to have a custon chip burned to adjust the fuel curves to compensate for the lack of inert air pumped into the engine by the EGR at part-throttle otherwise you will be driving under a slightly lean condition if you remove it without a tune.

It's just easier to keep it functional and intact.

i didnt know that.. that explains alot on my car.. thanks :nice:

I deleted mine and my car now stinks :)

No gain, though bypassing the smog pump helped.

And...

Jrichker will be on any minute to tell you why you shouldn't do it, and from what I understand he's right :nice:

my engine bay is clean and I have the EGR still... don't see the point in removing it unless you get a phenolic (sp?) spacer and want to prevent any heat from transferring the upper intake?

I think my EGR is bad because my car wreaks like gas, especially with my dumped exhaust, which I hate. I was thinking about deleting it. My friend deleted it on his car and now it runs really nice and doesn't back fire at all on deceleration, my car also back fires alot under deceleration.

my car's was completely missing.. i have the valve on it still and its plugged up, just non of that other crap on it, cars never had it since i bought it :shrug:

I think my EGR is bad because my car wreaks like gas, especially with my dumped exhaust, which I hate. I was thinking about deleting it. My friend deleted it on his car and now it runs really nice and doesn't back fire at all on deceleration, my car also back fires alot under deceleration.

I sugggest that you get some education on what does what before you cripple the car by disabling the wrong system. Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...s with a Tweecer or custom dyno tune chip[/b]

Attachments

• 88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif
    88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif
    14.3 KB · Views: 66
The cons: Lower milage, NO performance gain.

The Pros: One less (technically 4) thing to break, less vac lines to break, cleaner engine bay.

The ONLY reason I removed mine was because it was bad and causing driveability problems. I already had my Tweecer, and I didn't feel like spending money on a new EGR. So I just deleted the values through the Tweecer and removed the EGR , solenoids, sensors. When my EGR was functioning, I had no plans on removing it. There are really no true advantages of removing it.