Pulley alignment woes with Vortech setup.

gcomfx.com

Founding Member
Oct 22, 2002
Republic, MO
First off the Proform smog delete... doesn't seem to fit our cars. :nonono: It bolts up just fine with the correct spacer. The snout where the pulley mounts is about an inch too long. It's out of alignment and hits the ABS setup. Is the fox setup different? I think I'll end up going with the UPR as long as I know for sure it'll fit.

Second problem: My first engine builder ordered a balancer for me. It was a Professional Products 28 oz. :( I later learned that a spacer was needed. The spacer they sold me was too wide. However, if you flipped the crank pulley over, the other sides backspacing was perfect. Ran the car for a couple of years that way with no problems.

Well, I can't flip over the supercharger pulley setup. So now what? Get a new balancer I guess? :shrug: Any recommendations for a reasonable priced one with a hub center for a pulley?

• Sponsors (?)

i guess thats the smog pump delete i got then. mine was doing the same thing. I ended up taking the pulley apart and grinding down the spacer a little at a time to get it line up right. i then clearanced the ABS bracket a bit to give it more room cause when the engine torqued it would rub against the bracket.

After speaking with Pat at UPR.... the smog delete specs are all the same for the fox and 94-95s. Guess it's time to call vortech and ask them what's up. The vortech bracket was preassembled by the previous owner. I guess it could have been put together incorrectly. :shrug:

thats not the one i have. mines all billet.

i don't know how he could have put it together wrong. there really isn't anything you can do wrong with the brackets...have you gone through the vortech install manual to make sure you have everything right?

yeah right, you'll probably blow right past me with those heads. i'm still running puny little 1.90 intake'd performers...

i can't remember for sure off the top of my head but its what DSS supplied when i got the block. i'm almost positive its a romac. i know its 28oz balance.

Did the balancer have the provisions for a pulley on the front? Mine was smooth with holes. The adapter I found was the only one I could find. It sticks out to far. If I could find a shorter adapter I could just throw that on the car and go.

Edit: May have found it! I bet I have one of the thicker spacers.

http://www.professional-products.com/damperAccessories.html

Time to measure things when I get home.

Haven't found the correct belt yet... but I'm finally getting close on this. Wow, I don't think I'll ever buy a used kit again. What a mess trying to find the right bolts and get all the pieces sorted out. I'm still in the process of hooking up the air duct setup on each side of the supercharger. Looks like I'll be cutting through the fender to get my LMAF to fit. I should have all the pieces for BEFORE the supercharger. I still have not found a great solution for the small piece between the supercharger and T/B. :(

Looks like I'll try to have a custom piece made at the local exhaust shop. I want the flange for the blow off valve.

If anyone is looking for the "custom" water pump hose for the kit. I can look up the part number for you. I paid $35 for a "custom" hose from Vortech that ended up being a Gates hose with a prebent 90 degree bend on one end. It's an over the counter hose at O'Reilly. Ugh. Live and learn.

BTW - spacers for the smog delete seemed to fit once I reread the instructions. We did cut the back of the ABS bracket off for clearance. Also, the balancer ended up looking correct after we put on the smallest adapater Professional Products offers. Haven't tested a proper belt yet, but we are really close on this issue. 1031 is just a tad too long. Going to try the 1020 next.

do you have the manual from vortech? they list all the different size bolts. get it from there website.

are you running a fox intake setup or the sn95? i remember seeing on corral someone selling the sn95 elbow on there for some time now.

Did you tap the oil pan yet? :(

and where are the pics? ? LOL

I have the manual... printed it several times actually. LOL

A list only does you so much. Kinda like the waterpump hose. If I bought all the pieces from Vortech one at a time.... I would probably have $10k in the supercharger setup. :bang:

Anyway. I still have the SN95 setup. If you can send me a link to the elbow, I would love to try and get it. Kinda in a hurry though. I may end up just building a custom one.

As far as the oil pan. I had a bung welded in my pan when I had the 331 built. Oil lines are installed. :nice:

Pics? I'll post vids when it's done. We are in the middle of buying a house. Trying to get this pig back on the road before we try to move. New place is older, but has a huge shop. WOOT! Can't wait to install a 2 post lift.

do you have the manual from vortech? they list all the different size bolts. get it from there website.

are you running a fox intake setup or the sn95? i remember seeing on corral someone selling the sn95 elbow on there for some time now.

Did you tap the oil pan yet? :(

and where are the pics? ? LOL

i know Rob (GMKillr) was selling a couple but both ones have been sold. i'd just go with superchargersonline, its a decent price.

pic of the water hose? or perhaps the part number? where does it route it? mine is hugging the bracket right behind the belt and it keeps rubbing thin and seeping. i'd love to move it.

Paul, you just need the discharge tube off the head unit? Still running the 94-95 intake elbow? I pieced my entire kit together after buying the V2 head unit off a fellow 94-95'er here. Pick it up from SuperchargersOnline.com for $34. They're good people to deal with. :nice:

:nice: That's what I need. If I can't get something rockin' this w/e. I'll be ordering that and trying to get it here. I'm really trying to get the car fired up this w/e.

What sucks is... I have one off a Powerdyne. It's for an offset with the charger snout on the other side like a fox would have. We cut both ends off to get it to work. It was great... then we had to rotate the head unit some for alternator clearance and now it doesn't line up. :nonono:

i know Rob (GMKillr) was selling a couple but both ones have been sold. i'd just go with superchargersonline, its a decent price.

pic of the water hose? or perhaps the part number? where does it route it? mine is hugging the bracket right behind the belt and it keeps rubbing thin and seeping. i'd love to move it.

I think it's 5/8", if so try this:

O'Reilly Auto Parts - Home search for 28471

This "might" work: O'Reilly Auto Parts - Results for Shopping Search

It's 3 feet long has a 90* bend which is 4" long.