pulley ?

mustanglouie

Dec 30, 2004
Oakwood GA
The pulley on the top middle of the engine is called the idler pully right? It is not suppose to have ridges right? What if I have a engine out of a fox body car will it be the same pulley as our 94-95 cars?
thanks
Louie

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not remembering an idler on my fox - I could be wrong but I don't think so.

The idler is indeed smooth - the back of the belt rides against the pulley. In general, smooth pulley's have the back of a belt against them [idler, WP, tensioner, etc] and grooved pulleys have the grooved side of the belt on them [all your accessory pulleys].

Good luck.

ok. should the local part store have what I am looking for? I saw a few old post were someone went to the parts store and got the wrong pulley. Does anyone have a part number to a idler pulley from a parts store that worked for them?

I chose to get my idler from LRS (around 20 bucks). It is a plastic Motorcraft piece.

I remember those threads about folks getting the wrong pulley (I posted on them IIRC) but will let the guys who actually used the parts-store pulley post about their experiences. I don't think the parts store units had a guide lip (the belt has a long run across the top of the motor and the lip helps guide the belt at high RPM).

Good luck.