Pulleys: Worth it?

pulleys made me pull harder in the upper rpm's, felt a noticeable difference, great bang for the buck, but sometimes when my car sits out over night and i get up in the morning it takes me driving around a few minutes before my right blinker starts working

• Sponsors (?)

Between this and Hpipe/X pipe....lol

Get the pulleys and dont look back! The way I see it is you never see pulleys being sold in the classifieds. VERY rarely. Why? Cuz nobody wants to get rid of them. :) Take from that what you like.

For under $100, you cant possibly go wrong.

Just bite the bullet and get them. All that bad talk about them is "hogwash". If your car is in shape and you take care of problems when they happen, then you will have NO problems whatsoever. Those that have problems typically either run an amp, already have an a battery or alternator that is beyond its years or underpowered or they already have a slight cooling problem. Pulleys typically ONLY bring problems to the surface that already exist. You just dont notice them as much with the pulleys off cuz they are not big enough to notice quite YET. Pulleys have been around forever, they rarely get sold on the internet and just about every company out there sells them. Demand is high for them and the desire to part with them is often low.

I'm not trying to convince you to get them. But yeah, if you have a car that is not cooling quite as cool as you would like and you put on pulleys, its going to get hot. If you have an old battery and and an amp, the volts are going to go low. They will go low anyways, they have to, expect it. The car is going to run hotter, it has to ,expect that as well. Dont be shocked when it happens. Every performance part has a sacrafice. :)

My opinion.

Chris

i have the black steel pulleys so no one can look and tell they are underdrive. i too used my stock alternator pulley bc the size difference wasnt enough to give me any more hp than needed. i got all the horses, and didnt need to F with the alternator

well, black aluminum look just the same as steel, but give you more performance. mine look great too btw, ASP, and I didn't say the coating would ever fall off on the March... I just said that they aren't as good as ASP (and if I didn't say that exactly, that's what I meant)

-oh, btw, changing out for the stock alt pulley doesn't give you as much power as if you put the one they give you on... I can't explain that one, but I know it's been dyno proven, I think they work in conjunction w/ each other and all that stuff...

i have stock alt pulley becuase the one mac send me wouldn't fit...so i said F* it...only slight flickering while ideling at night with the lights blinker heater and windshield wipers on but as soon as the rpms get over 550 all the problems are gone

viperos said:
red94five0... pulleys are totally worth the $$$... just make sure you get a good quality product, not BBK or MAC, and make sure they are aluminum! (the parasitic loss is amazing between those and steel!) www.rpm-mustangs.com has them for hella cheap too (ASP Aluminum ones)... through a misprint on the website, I got mine for $65 shipped!... other places I've seen them are $115...

-you will notice a slight battery drain at idle, when the car is warmed up... but nothing to worry about... just slight dimming of the headlights, and not as strong blowing of the air if it is on...

what's wrong with BBK pulley's?

ok, look, I really should clarify what I said a little better... I'm sorry if I offended any of your guys here... all I was mainly saying the problem w/ them was the price... they are overpriced! ASP are the best for the buck, and quality wise... although, there really isn't anything wrong w/ any other pulley brand out there, unless it is some cheap A$$ no-name from ebay for $10

I think I am going to buy the pullies. I don't know how old the battery or alt is. I know the batter was dirty as ***** and the first thing I did when I got home was break out a wire brush. But what about this not using the alt pullie? What size alt would it be worth it on? Oh, and the ones I am getting are ASP for $50.

I think I am going to buy the pullies. I don't know how old the battery or alt is. I know the batter was dirty as ***** and the first thing I did when I got home was break out a wire brush. But what about this not using the alt pullie? What size alt would it be worth it on? Oh, and the ones I am getting are ASP for $50.

well, as long as they are aluminum, great price... if they are not aluminum, don't bother w/ them... not nearly the performance value... but whatever, it is your car, so it is ultimately up to you (no, no guilt there :D)

-also, the pulleys work in conjunction w/ each other so you really need to use the alt pulley to gain the full effect of the pulleys for your power increase... I can't explain why, but I've seen the dyno sheets to prove that...

I haven't found any places that had the ASP aluminum pullies for less than $100. :shrug: On www.rpm-mustangs.com they only had them for the fox and 4.6 cars. Are our's the same as the fox 5.0's (and I'm just an idiot), or what? Also could you guys point out some other places with them (for cheap). Thanks

go.rei GT said:
I haven't found any places that had the ASP aluminum pullies for less than $100. :shrug: On www.rpm-mustangs.com they only had them for the fox and 4.6 cars. Are our's the same as the fox 5.0's (and I'm just an idiot), or what? Also could you guys point out some other places with them (for cheap). Thanks

check out www.racenet.net they have them for $89.99 aluminum plus whatever shipping is. Summit has them as well just type in the part number and they will show up. The down side to summit is they take about a month to shipp these out to you. they don't stock them :D

viperos said:
red94five0... pulleys are totally worth the $$$... just make sure you get a good quality product, not BBK or MAC, and make sure they are aluminum! (the parasitic loss is amazing between those and steel!) www.rpm-mustangs.com has them for hella cheap too (ASP Aluminum ones)... through a misprint on the website, I got mine for $65 shipped!... other places I've seen them are $115...

-you will notice a slight battery drain at idle, when the car is warmed up... but nothing to worry about... just slight dimming of the headlights, and not as strong blowing of the air if it is on...
i just bought the bbk's. are they really that much worse? i want polished aluminum pulleys, can i get polished asp pulleys for my 95?