pullies a waste??

mrvax said:
Gentlemen, I hope you are aware that you can use a Dynojet 2 days in a row without touching the car and still have a 5 hp difference SAE corrected. This is splitting hairs here.

Pullies are known to produce small gains because the stock ones are not as bad as they were years ago. Leave it at that. :rolleyes:
omg, thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

mrvax said:
Gentlemen, I hope you are aware that you can use a Dynojet 2 days in a row without touching the car and still have a 5 hp difference SAE corrected. This is splitting hairs here.

Pullies are known to produce small gains because the stock ones are not as bad as they were years ago. Leave it at that. :rolleyes:

Thats exactly what I thought. When it comes to proving 3-4 HP the dyno could fluctuate that much, or close to that much any give day. I like the big mods......no doubters like s-chargers that net large gains that are complimented by some of the nominal bolt- ons. My last stang had one, and I will do a procharger on this later. I love intercoolers! Bolt-ons add up quick $$$....get the charger and get good power! Then you wont have to guess about the 3-4 you MIGHT have gained....

StangJonGT said:
We truly are being invaded by morons. This site is turning into automotiveforums.com. As for the pulley issue, Aaron is right, just some guy is wrong.
If we were talking about a crank pulley, we would be discussing rotational mass. But we are discussing ACCESSORY PULLEYS, which drive our--you guessed it--accessories. Accessories rob power from the engine to run at Ford designed speeds. These speeds came more from Ford lawyers than Ford speed freaks, so there is plenty of HP/TQ to be unlocked by UNDERDRIVING them, meaning using a different size pulley to spin the accessories (alternator, water pump) slower, resulting in less power distributed to them with each engine rotation. With less being taken by the accessories, more can go to the clutch/flywheel/driveshaft and wheels.
Oh, and if you don't think you are getting more power to the ground with lightweight (here is your less rotational mass, just some guy) components in your drivetrain, you need to go back to physics 101. Lets stop the stupid posts from effusive, hyperbolic histrionic types looking for their lime.

Jon

EDIT--click here for more on dyno gains with lightweight clutch/flywheel
you really need to shuttup.
you are correct, with all your in depth blabbering about how you think you know everything, more power does go to the wheels by under driving them...

know how much?> a whole 2-3-4 hp! whoope@!

valvetrain stuff is completly different.

and in reply to your thread-----a magazine got 11hp from a diff clutch/flywheel? ya sure. and "maybe a heavily modified GT or cobra would launch at 5k."

uh, i launch at 5k, on nitto 275/40 17 drag radials and stock suspension.

i guess all of my knowledge of stuff like this explains why my car is so damn slow. ya know, all of you guys go and buy your pulleys and lightweight d.s. and f.w.s and clutches and know so much more and call me a moron, when im 8 tenths faster than you and probably faster than everyone else in this thread.

how many street tired n.a 2 valves on stock suspension you know that go 13.1

oh ya, and my only real mods, are cnl plenum, o r x pipe/4.10 gears/timing adjuster
other mods include(cai, shifter, catback)

and on stock tires i run 13.2s, but i guess i dont know anything, cuz i am such a moron.
keep spending your money on useless mods, i will look forward to beating people like you at the track.

make a post about LW flywheel/ al driveshaft... ill be right once more.

i guess since i am such a moron,

just some guy said:
you are correct, with all your in depth blabbering about how you think you know everything, more power does go to the wheels by under driving them...

and in reply to your thread-----a magazine got 11hp from a diff clutch/flywheel? ya sure. and "maybe a heavily modified GT or cobra would launch at 5k."

i guess all of my knowledge of stuff like this explains why my car is so damn slow. ya know, all of you guys go and buy your pulleys and lightweight d.s. and f.w.s and clutches and know so much more and call me a moron, when im 8 tenths faster than you and probably faster than everyone else in this thread.

oh ya, and my only real mods, are cnl plenum, o r x pipe/4.10 gears/timing adjuster

and on stock tires i run 13.2s, but i guess i dont know anything, cuz i am such a moron.
keep spending your money on useless mods, i will look forward to beating people like you at the track.

i guess since i am such a moron,[/QUOTE

Right on, lots of cheap mods = small gains with inflated hopes and high $$ spent.I love Mustangs, just like to be realistic and not project smoke and mirror gains provided by marketing schemes and advertisers. These cars are fun and fast and have sweet torque. MAkum quicker!!!! Read the reviews at the parts review area of this site for more info. on whats hot and whats not. Pullies are not. They are said to rust, cause leaks, fail alternators, shear belts, drop voltage, cause drivability problems, etc. Would you sacrafice these things for 3-4 HP come on!!!!!!! I can think of much better things to do with $169. For example, just throw it out the window, and your car will be more reliable and run better!! Right??? Do the research....

March piggyback UDPs netted me 4.5 rwhp and 7.1 ft-lbs on my 02 GT.

Not sure of the definition of "worthless" but 4.5HP is 4.5HP. They may not rank high in terms of bang for the buck, but it was a definite SOTP improvement.

With the K&N intake and pullies I went from 228 to 242. That I felt.

who called you a moron?

as for pullies causing breakage ect... if you think that a set of pullies being installed correctly will cause all this breakage and grief you talked about then by all means you should stay away from them since its apparent you dont know what exactly would cause your problems.

Crank problems, and SES lights will come on if the key hole notch is not sealed, or if the pulley isnt tightened down enough. this will cause major engine problems. A product of install, not the pulley.
A slipping belt will occur if you use the wrong size belt yes, or dont adjust your tensioner properly. Most of the kits out there can reuse the stock belt with 0 problems. Again a product of install, not the pulley.
As for causing leaks... I do not see how anything involved with a pulley change will cause a leak. You unbolt the alt pulley and swap on the new one. you take off the water pump pulley, you swap on the new one. you take off the crank pulley, seal the notch area, and put it back on, granted you need a harmonic balancer pulley puller, but thats another story. None of these items will cause a leak. Again a product of bad advice or heresay, not the pulley.
The one thing they will do is cause a slight undercharge on the alt. This will by no means ruin the alt. Ruining the alt would be done by an incorrect install, not the pulley lol. Man Ive said that a lot. You will notice some diming lights when you roll up or down your windows, have your lights on, and radio blasting if your stopped at a light, but I have noticed no "problems" on my '03 that were stated above that "underdrive pulley's" cause

yawn... this is getting old fast, im outta here lol i got better things to do on a Fri night :D

the article said:
While it's possible to install the pulleys with the vehicle on the ground, we elected to put the Mustang on a lift so we could also install the Steeda Timing Adjuster and save a little time. It's important to note that the timing adjuster was set to 10 degrees, (which is the stock timing setting), so we could first test the pulleys.

Our first pull with the pulleys and the timing adjuster showed no increase in power, so we placed a call to Steeda to see if we may have done something wrong. We learned that despite setting the timing adjuster to the stock position of 10 degrees, the engine may not have actually been at 10 degrees. Dan Carlson of Steeda explained that because the timing adjuster relocates the pick-up sensor, it may be a degree off, even if the placement of the timing adjuster is set to 10 degrees. Therefore, we may have actually backed the timing off to 9 degrees BTDC. To remedy this we added one degree of timing and tested again.

This time we noticed a gain of three horsepower, but even more impressively, torque jumped to 275 lbs.-ft., for a gain of 12 lbs.-ft. And while we did not find a huge gain in average horsepower, our torque average rocketed from 223.5 to 232 lbs.-ft.
the url is: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/0205mmff_boltons/
This time we noticed a gain of three horsepower, but even more impressively, torque jumped to 275 lbs.-ft., for a gain of 12 lbs.-ft. And while we did not find a huge gain in average horsepower, our torque average rocketed from 223.5 to 232 lbs.-ft.

just some guy said:

i guess since i am such a moron,

I am not one to make things personal, but I have to call you out. I have provided solid factual information stating that not only are pulleys worth hp and tq at the wheels, so are lightened drivetrain accessories. I have not called you a moron, nor have I called your car slow. It seems you may have an awful big chip on your shoulder to admit I am right, and STILL argue. Yes, your car is fast, and yes, I did say a Cobra would launch at 5K. Now answer me one thing: Would your car be faster with UDPs on? Don't even ask me who I think is a moron now. Oh, and thank you again for pointing out just how fast your car is.

Jon