push button start

• Sponsors (?)

What I mean is, god forbid you have to paint your car a few months later then planned so you can fix problems correctly. Dont be such a half asser all the time.

half ass...what the **** else have i half assed? this is a quick fix for what problem i am having right now...my dad or my mom wont be see in it till it is atleast into primer...yeah thats how bad this thing looks...so till then i cant drive it...and i want to drive it..so yeah..im a cutting a conner right here... ill fix it when 1 i have more time and 2 i have more money.

Ryan has been a bit on edge since aquiring the new car. Don't rig the car like that, people make mistakes all the time when cars can start in gear, take the time..trace the problem and repair. HOWEVER that's just the way I've always done things.

ok, lets take a step back and think about this. I'm not trying to be an ass, but this seems to be pretty easy.

If you have 12v at the wire that screws onto the top of the starter relay/solenoid, then anything before that (ignition switch, key tumbler, etc) is NOT the problem, as you've found out. The red wire (as you probably know) tells the relay to send power to the starter. If it's getting the 12v to tell it to send power, but it's not doing it, yet the car starts by jumping the lugs on the relay, then it sounds like a defective relay, does it not? It's not unheard of to replace a part and the "new" part be defective as well. My instincts tell me to get yet another starter solenoid/relay. If you know someone with a similar car, maybe borrow theirs to make for sure before purchasing one, but that seems what it has to be if you're jumping it w/ a screwdriver and the car starts AND you have 12v at the red wire.

Sorry if I missed something.

ok, lets take a step back and think about this. I'm not trying to be an ass, but this seems to be pretty easy.

If you have 12v at the wire that screws onto the top of the starter relay/solenoid, then anything before that (ignition switch, key tumbler, etc) is NOT the problem, as you've found out. The red wire (as you probably know) tells the relay to send power to the starter. If it's getting the 12v to tell it to send power, but it's not doing it, yet the car starts by jumping the lugs on the relay, then it sounds like a defective relay, does it not? It's not unheard of to replace a part and the "new" part be defective as well. My instincts tell me to get yet another starter solenoid/relay. If you know someone with a similar car, maybe borrow theirs to make for sure before purchasing one, but that seems what it has to be if you're jumping it w/ a screwdriver and the car starts AND you have 12v at the red wire.

Sorry if I missed something.

already replaced with a new one

Ryan has been a bit on edge since aquiring the new car. Don't rig the car like that, people make mistakes all the time when cars can start in gear, take the time..trace the problem and repair. HOWEVER that's just the way I've always done things.

i dont got the time....car gose in Monday to get the top put on...i dont have time to trace wires this weekend.

already replaced with a new one

I realize some people are naive sometimes and think that all new parts work properly because they're new. New parts are sometimes faulty out of the box. Several people have replaced alternators and starters with "new" ones and they didn't work either.

If the thing is getting 12v to the end of the red wire, is grounded properly and it's still not giving power the starter, it's faulty. That's something else...make sure the relay is grounded properly.

I would pull it off and test it myself.

1)Jumper cables from negative side of battery to metal of relay for ground.

2)Jumper cables from pos side of battery to the lug on the solenoid that the battery cable normally attaches to(or you could just leave it connected to the battery cable).

3)Put a test light on the lug the starter wire goes on.

4)Take a couple feet of wire and attach it to the pos battery cable and then "touch" it to the little screw on the top of the relay that the little red wire normally attaches to.

If the light doesn't work then the relay is bad...new or not.

I realize some people are naive sometimes and think that all new parts work properly because they're new. New parts are sometimes faulty out of the box. Several people have replaced alternators and starters with "new" ones and they didn't work either.

If the thing is getting 12v to the end of the red wire, is grounded properly and it's still not giving power the starter, it's faulty. That's something else...make sure the relay is grounded properly.

I would pull it off and test it myself.

1)Jumper cables from negative side of battery to metal of relay for ground.

2)Jumper cables from pos side of battery to the lug on the solenoid that the battery cable normally attaches to(or you could just leave it connected to the battery cable).

3)Put a test light on the lug the starter wire goes on.

4)Take a couple feet of wire and attach it to the pos battery cable and then "touch" it to the little screw on the top of the relay that the little red wire normally attaches to.

If the light doesn't work then the relay is bad...new or not.

ill just go pull the one off my dads 86 and see if it works..

why dont you paint your **** that way ill do mine the right way....

this from the guy with the push button starter cuz he is to either a. to lazy to chace down the real problem or b. too stubborn to realize that the people here half the time are trying to help him but decides to go on the defensive and lash back at people and talk ****.

have fun with you push button starter, which by the way is about as cool as cancer.

From the No Crank Checklist...

Pull the small push on connector (small red/blue wire) off the starter solenoid (looks like it is stuck on a screw).
Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery.
If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

5.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars.
If they are good, then you have wiring problems.

Typical start circuit...
Diagram courtesy of Tmoss &Stang&2birds
attachment.php

See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars .
See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars.
See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1d/db/3c/0900823d801ddb3c.jsp for 94-95 model cars.

One of the things overlooked is that little red\blue wire-not only does it go the the starter solenoid, it goes to the TFI module. It provides some extra electrical input for the TFI to know that the engine is trying to start.

this from the guy with the push button starter cuz he is to either a. to lazy to chace down the real problem or b. too stubborn to realize that the people here half the time are trying to help him but decides to go on the defensive and lash back at people and talk ****.

have fun with you push button starter, which by the way is about as cool as cancer.

no its C i don't have time....i have to do the brakes today get the brake light's figured out get the exhaust hung get the old top off and get the motor back together tonight....i don't have time this weekend to trace wires on top of all the other **** i have to get done so i can get my car to the shop to have the top put on :mad: tell you what...you fly your ass to Columbus and we will trace wires....after i get the car back ill start doing this i already said i would...this is a quick fix.. FOR THE TIME BEING...

no its C i don't have time....i have to do the brakes today get the brake light's figured out get the exhaust hung get the old top off and get the motor back together tonight....i don't have time this weekend to trace wires on top of all the other **** i have to get done so i can get my car to the shop to have the top put on :mad: tell you what...you fly your ass to Columbus and we will trace wires....after i get the car back ill start doing this i already said i would...this is a quick fix.. FOR THE TIME BEING...

:bs: