PUSHROD -VS- MODULAR

Nemesis67

Jul 3, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
:dead:
OK, I know I'm probably going to regret opening this can, but I'm trying to decide which motor to go with in my 67 FB. I was originally going to go with a stroked 351W, but now I'm contemplating a modular motor.
Of course I would love to find a 03-04 COBRA motor, then it would be no contest. :drool:

In either case the motor I choose will be fuel injected and I'm going to try to stay naturally asperated.:sleep:

Which reminds me I should have kept that 76 T-bird I bought for $250 with a 460, C6, and 9". Then sold the car for a grand. Money talks and B.S. walks.

So there it is. Which motor would be best in a 67 Fastback that will be used to beat up on the "Fast and the Furious" crowd with their chrome plated "Fart Pipes" on the weekends? As well as destroy the many Fbirds and Camaro's that seem to be a nusance at every stoplight.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you really prepared to do a mod-motor swap? I mean it's a great motor and there's a huge aftermarket following, but you have to change pretty much the whole car just to get the thing in the chassis. And for what? To street race Hondas? You can beat them six days to Sunday with a mild 351W that bolts in and be done with it. Don't get me wrong, I think that the mod-motors are the best thing Ford's come out with in years and they make killer power with a blower and they can stand up to the abuse, but to hack up a car to put one in just to beat imports and F-Bodies seems like a lot of effort to boost your ego...

For ease of install and cost. A stroked 351 will probably be more cost effiecient between the two. Aftermarket parts are plentiful so you shouldn't have any problem getting it above 400hp. Traction will be another issue...
Kevin

Sicarius 428: Since I'm going to put a new rear under the car with an aftermarket suspension, which kind is still under review. Plus i'm planning on putting mini tubs in the wheelwells in order to make room for meatier tires. I feel my traction problems will hopefully be minimal.

i don't think there is any practical reason for putting a mod motor in a classic 'stang considering all of the work involved. you're not going to get any more power. maybe a little better fuel economy (but i don't think that's what you're after). the parts definitely aren't any cheaper. i don't think there's any weight savings. and then you have to mess with all of the electronics involved and THAT is not going to be as easy as bolting in a 408W. the only reason to put on mod motor in a classic stang is because you want to. period. all you're doing now is trying to rationalize your decision.

I hope you weren't offended by my ego-boost remark, but since I started messing with cars in '78 I've learned this much: it IS an ego-boosting experience, no matter what you tell yourself. Nothing to be ashamed of, but that's the way it is. Why else would any of us go broke, spend untold hours building cars, whether for show or go if it didn't make us feel good? When I was sand-dragging, I felt ten feet tall and bulletproof. And to get that feeling I spent about 100 hours building and wrenching for every half hour racing. Know why? So when some mouthy SOB started talking trash, I could finish it. When I raced motocross, I spent more hours than I care to remember in the gym and at the practice track because my ego didn't want me riding around at the back of the pack. Even now, when I spend pretty much all my spare money and all my time working on my Shelby clone, it's because I know I won't have to make excuses when it's done, my ego hates excuses. Doesn't yours?

:rlaugh: We all know that the 03-04 Cobra's come with a supercharger. So if I got one of those mills it would NOT be naturally asperated.
What I like about the mod motors is that they are gaining in the aftermarket and they rev like gangbusters.
I just want a solid motor to give me that kick in the pants feeling on the street, as well as more than hold it's own. Pretty much these days the imports and domestics are making 300 plus ponies right out of the box. So I want to up it a little...say 400 - 500 ponies, with high numbers in torque at a low RPM. Right there should answer my own question...Right?

Putting in the electronics in this 67 will not be a problem for me. I've been working electronics on F-15 Eagles for 14 years and that my friends is a lot of wiring. I've got many of my electronics and wiring ideas for this car from my experience on the Eagle. Plus I plan on getting all my wiring replaced with Painless stuff. Plus I'm going to fabricate some of my own ideas into the electronics. Hopefully when I get it all done, I can post it for all to enjoy.

Nemesis67 said:
Putting in the electronics in this 67 will not be a problem for me. I've been working electronics on F-15 Eagles for 14 years and that my friends is a lot of wiring. I've got many of my electronics and wiring ideas for this car from my experience on the Eagle. Plus I plan on getting all my wiring replaced with Painless stuff. Plus I'm going to fabricate some of my own ideas into the electronics. Hopefully when I get it all done, I can post it for all to enjoy.

well thats good..now help me figure this crap out :D

Nemesis67 said:
Sure thing! What's the problem?

LOL...nothing really. I just stripped the PCM harness of the crap I dont need and now I gotta figure out where to power the harness from. Under the dash would be easy but Im worried cause the whole harness seems to run off 12-14ga wires. Maybe its enough.

We seem to have drifted from my original question. So for the sake of getting back on track I'll be brief. It all falls upon purpose, neatness, functionality, ease of installation, and personal choice. We could go on and on about it, but let's try it on another thread. THANKS!:D

Questions for Nemesis67

What's the weight difference between a 351W, 390, and a Mod motor?
What other mods have to be done to handle the weight and power?
What all does it take to put a 4.6 into a '67?

The answers to all this and more is available through the search function, right here on Stangnet. I'd try that first, then figure out what you want your car to do, and see if this is the way you want to go.

What makes sense to one person, might make no sense to someone else. In otherwords,
YMMV, :D

Scott

Since your looking for opinions, I'll offer mine :D I personally like to see a more traditional push rod engine in a classic Mustang. Lifting the hood and seeing a sea of wirse, hoses and lines just doesn't do anything for me, even if it does have a supercharger sitting on top. As far as the performance difference, a stroked 351 with fuel injection would likely crush just about anything at the stop lights with exceptions. The injection setups offered by companies like Mass Flo look really great on a classic and from what I read perform very well. Some guys on this board have done the swap. In fact, they just did the swap on Overhaul the other night with an old Galaxy with a stroked 351 (I believe). Good luck with whatever you decide, but the answer on this one needs to be based on your personal preference, amount of work you are willing and capable of doing (wiring has got to be a nightmare with mod Motor) and not based on performance.