Put more 275's on a 65 coupe.

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
Rowland Heights,California
This is my buddies that I had to do basically buy the wheels/tires for because he doesnt have a clue about what to get, as well as roll the fenders.It has the 1" lowered springs and 5 leaf mid eyes in the rear. It has a very SLIGHT rub on the left side from a quarter panel replacement that wasnt done right.The fronts are 215/45/17 and the rears are 275/40/17 BFG sports.
View attachment 487095
View attachment 487098

• Sponsors (?)

mdjay said:
It looks to me like the tt 17x8 4.75 bs. The tire is bubbling out a bit much.
yeah,thats the size, the sidewall doesnt bother me or him, but people get all wierd and start going off on how they should be on a 8" wheel etc. The BFG's do push out a little more then my Kumho's and the Nitto DR's fit even better. Out of all the cars at Knotts last year, there was only maybe 3 using 275's, including yours if you had them, this year it will be the norm after all the questions i got last year..............no longer unique:(

im gonna try some 9" wheels soon :)

mdjay said:
I actually did a little wheelhouse work on the inside. Currently I have 17x9 with a 5" backspace. But since the wheelhouse massaging, I could use a 17x9.5 and easily put that on the inside ie 5.5 bs.

This is with the 275 on a 9"
Was there cutting or just a big hammer involved, we're getting a plasma pretty soon and i might move the inner wheel house in a couple of inches, i know people will say it wont do anything with the leafs still there, but theres plans for those too:nice:

Well this is the poor mans mini tubs but this is how it goes.

You make an 8-9" vertical slit in the front corner of the inner wheelhouse. You take some flat stock and a sledge hammer, move the inner wheelhouse where it attaches to the floor and move it toward the frame. I used a straight edge and lined them up with my leafs.

The front moved over an inch and the back maybe a little less.

The slit you made will open up like a pie cut. Weld in a like piece of sheet metal, undercoat and you're done!

If you want to hide the very slight buckle on the trunk side, just lay down a bead of silicone, smooth out with your finger and coat the trunk with speckle paint.

I highly suggest running a pan hard bar to keep movement to a minimum.

With the 17x9 with a 5" bs and a 275x40x17 I have well over an inch to the wheelhouse on the front edge. I had 1/4" before moving them in!

If you just move the amount stated, your inner qtrs will squeeze right back in. They are touching but you cannot tell.

mdjay said:
I actually did a little wheelhouse work on the inside. Currently I have 17x9 with a 5" backspace. But since the wheelhouse massaging, I could use a 17x9.5 and easily put that on the inside ie 5.5 bs.

This is with the 275 on a 9"
033b.jpg

did you ummm ranch those.....ummmm bunnies lol. J/K.

The problem I have is not really the width of my tire but how tall it is. If mine was 1/2 inch shorter I would like it better. I'm hoping with mickey supposedly comeing out with 255/60/15s that it will bring it in just enough to clear my outter fender lip. And I know I could roll it but I'm thinking the bondo would crack! :notnice:

Attachments

• 033b.jpg
    033b.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 331
. . . or the new EvM Watt's Link!

mdjay said:
I highly suggest running a pan hard bar to keep movement to a minimum.

This has gotten more press over on CornerCarvers.com, but here's the Watt's Link that's coming out soon from Evolution Motorsports:

http://www.evolutionmsport.com/evmCart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=38&zenid=d77238e2459a21450afd4f6eda3efe5e

I have a tentative preorder on it waiting for the final cost. It can be used standalone with leafs or as part of their 3- or 4-link system coming up. It supposedly is free of exhaust routing issues, we'll see . . .

MDJAY mini tub question

MDJAY,
am interested in the poor mans mini tubbing you speak of. I'm a little confused on what happens after the 9 inch slit is made in the front inner wheel well. you talked about a sledge and plate stock. wouldn't you have to cut the floor out some to expand the wheelhouse? I just installed flares and looking from the rear of the wheelwell to the front of the wheelhouse I could use another inch in the front for tire clearance but am somewhat confused on expanding the wheelhouse without cutting the floor some. There is also a seat belt nut plate in the area but it seems as if it would not be an issue. could you clarify a little or provide a picture.
thanks

Outlaw