Putting GT ground effects on car?

I found a whole ground effects kit for $50 with a new front clip and sideskirts, but the original rear bumper. The guy wrecked the car and now doesnt need them. Will these bolt up to my 84 GT? It doesnt have ground effects but I would like to put some on there will these fit? I have already switched my front end over to a 90 LX front end so I know the Gt will fit I am highly skilled in making stuff fit on there so that isnt a problem. I just want to know how hard it will be to bolt up. Thanks for everything :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

i got a whole body kit for an 87 gt. i was going to put it on my 89 notch but i decided not to because it would be a pain to put the metal strips to hold the top of the side panels down. it is black but i believe the gt was stolen because the paint is peeling and the car is really silver.

If your car's front end has already been converted to 87'-93' style, then you obviously have a 87'-93' hood also. That would be the only problem if your car still had the 84' front. To convert to a GT style, you'll need the front bumper cover, rear bumper cover, side skirts, all of the metal mounting strips for the ground effects (5 per side), and the door moldings.
I converted my 91' LX to GT style. Do a search of my username BADPONYsc and scroll through the threads I have posted in. I have posted very detailed descriptions of the process in many threads.... I couldn't possibly type it all again here.
Hope this helps!

BADPONYsc i looked through all 200 threads and i couldnt find anything about the actually swap just before and after things, will they bolt up? and what if i glued the effects on, and screwed them in the fender spots?would this work? i will get the metal strips if i have to but i am poor because college fees came up :( anyones help is appreciated

I don't know about gluing them. I've heard of body "adhesives" like that, but don't know anything about them. Then there's 3M tape, which works well for alot of stuff.... but the GT effects are kind of tricky. They are mounted at angles that tend to want to pull away from the tape and are VERY difficult to get lined up straight with the door moldings. On my old GT, one of the mounting strips was missing at the front of the side skirts. I used 3M tape to hold it on at the top, but it would always come loose and was impossible to get completely straight. I re-taped it many times before finding a replacment metal strip. Once I mounted it with that, it was solid and straight.
The strips I'm talking about are metal strips that mount with rivets along the rocker panel and at the tops and sides of the side skirts. The GT ground effects "wedge" tightly down into them, hold them straight and solid, then you attach the inner-fender and under-car places with screws. It's a very solid and well-designed system of mounting them. It would take alot to get them to come off.....like a wreck.......been there.
Have you ever seen a GT and the tops of the side skirts on each side of the door moldings were crooked from the door moldings? It's very common... I see it a good bit. I imagine it's either from years and years of vibration or, more likely, they were removed and not properly re-installed.
The strips are not hard to install, but are probably tricky to find. I had all of mine from my wrecked GT, so I didn't have to go looking for them. If you found them at a junk yard, they would probably be cheap because they probably wouldn't think they were anything important. I know Mustangs Unlimited has them new. They sell them individually, piece by piece. the guy you got the effects from doesn't have the car still? If so, you could get them from him.
Maybe someone who has attached ground effects in other ways will jump in here with some ideas. If you find the metal strips, I can tell you exactly how to mount them, with measurements, etc. Or if I can help in any way, let me know.
Hope this helps some!

i will go to mustang unlimited and buy the strips because the guy that had the car took everything off the car and i dont know if he has them. well thanks for the input. badponysc will you pm the measurements on how to mount the strips and other stuff that may be useful? thanks

BADPONYsc, can you post that info on here too? Also, would you happen to have any pics? I was looking at my side skirts yesterday wondering how they were attached, now I know.

Also, before you mentioned not typing all that info again. What I like to do is go to one of my previous posts on a subject, and copy it. I hate typing. :D

Cliff :D

Edit: I almost forgot. The ground effects might not fit correctly if the car they came off of was a 91 or newer. In 91 the front wheel openings were made bigger, which means the fender extensions and front piece of each side skirt would be shorter to compensate.

Hey, yeah I'll probably post further info here too. When I mounted my GT's stuff on the LX, I went out to the old car and measured where all the mounting holes were, marked them on the LX, drilled the holes, mounted the strips, and the ground effects lined up perfectly.... better than when they were on the GT actually (the GT's fenders and effects had seen better days).

WLDHRSE : The only difference on LX's and GT's from 87'-90' and 91'-93' was the fenders and the front bumper extensions. The side ground effects were the same. All they did was widen the fronts of the fender's wheel openings to allow for the slightly larger pony wheels so they wouldn't rub. My brother in law has an 89' LX that he put pony rims on and they rub a little in hard turns right where Ford made the change.... the front of the inner fender.
I've tried doing the cut-from-old-post/ paste-on-new-post thing before.... but there always seems to be some of the text that doesn't apply or make sense in the new post... so I didn't feel like doing a bunch of editing to make it work. I'll usually just type it all over again. I recommended searching my posts because a few months back there was ALOT of discussion on this topic, mainly between me and Wild93StangInNy, who also did the conversion.
I'll get back to this thread with some pics, measurements, etc. :nice:

qfbgi.jpg