Pypes Mid Muffler

PoopDawg

Autozone Junkie
Founding Member
Jun 21, 2002
Orlando, FL
My Magnaflow mufflers are starting to rot out on the inside. You hit them, and you can hear the rust and crap bang around... And the drivers side has a hole starting in it. I like the mid muffler set up. How does everyone that HAS ONE like it???

Nick

• Sponsors (?)

I hated mine...sound was pretty good but the quality and install was garbage, so bad that I just threw the system in the trash. I offer the same exhaust advise to everyone who inquires about Pypes mid muffler and that is stick with an axle back because that is what is meant to be on these cars. Otherwise get a professional exhaust shop and create your own mid muffler system.

Well, I run 6 "exhaust" shops here in town... and we don't do stainless or mandrel bending. And no one does for hundreds of miles. Not gunna make my exhaust out of aluminized steel. I can tweek and make things that don't fit, fit... Like my Pypes X pipe that didn't fit perfectly.

Not that I'm stuck on it... I just like the kit and the way they sound on Youtube. I know that probably means nothing... But I'm def. not going back to Magnaflow again. I've always had Magnaflows and they always rot out. Pisses me off.

Mac sounds rather violent with an off road x.

Too raspy IMO, and quite loud which that part i don't mind so much...I too am looking towards the midmuffler system but have heard nothing but quality issues but i'm kinda with poopdawg and I can make it fit.

Video of cruise by - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

i'll post the full throttle anyway but I do like the sound then, just not so much cruising around...I've kept it this long because my wife really likes it :shrug: Don't hate on my 3rd gear shift to much, I was Slow and short shifted :nonono::D

Video of outside - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sorry for highjacking your thread poopdawg.

Well, I run 6 "exhaust" shops here in town... and we don't do stainless or mandrel bending. And no one does for hundreds of miles. Not gunna make my exhaust out of aluminized steel. I can tweek and make things that don't fit, fit... Like my Pypes X pipe that didn't fit perfectly.

If you want a mid muffler system there should be no reason why you can't just cut the factory piping and weld up the mufflers. I've done it. I'm running Magnaflow Magnapacks with no problems. I just ordered the O/R X so we'll see what it sounds like shortly.

If you want a mid muffler system there should be no reason why you can't just cut the factory piping and weld up the mufflers. I've done it. I'm running Magnaflow Magnapacks with no problems. I just ordered the O/R X so we'll see what it sounds like shortly.

I've done it also. Don't want to hack my stock stuff. I'd rather buy a system... and I'd never buy Magnaflows again.

I think the Magnaflow Axlebacks that he has are different than the Magnaflow Magnapacks. The magnapacks are a straight thru and solid stainless steel outside and the axlebacks are not. Why Magnaflow makes this setup for the v6 and not the GTs is beyond me.

OK dont buy the entire kit.. if you RUN the shops then get on JEGS, JUST buy the mufflers (got mine for 83 bucks) weld them in, remove the old muflers weld a pipe in place and keep the tips ! MUCH CHEAPER ! But yeh the PYPES X Pipe dosnt fit SOOO GREAT !

OK dont buy the entire kit.. if you RUN the shops then get on JEGS, JUST buy the mufflers (got mine for 83 bucks) weld them in, remove the old muflers weld a pipe in place and keep the tips ! MUCH CHEAPER ! But yeh the PYPES X Pipe dosnt fit SOOO GREAT !

Exactly what I thought but he doesn't want to do that !! :rolleyes:

So, what's wrong with the fitment of the Pypes X-Pipe? I hear tons of people saying it fits fine, a bunch of people saying it doesn't fit. I don't know what to believe. I guess I'll be finding out on Friday.

Well MINE (not everyones)its a two piece design and apparntly the passenger side flange is WAY TO BIG and it allows for leaks no matter how tight you get the bolts on there, So I had my Muffler guy take the flange off weld a new one in an VOLA ! NO more leaks ! I have 3 inch tips on mine right now but I want 4 inch just to fill up the rear end.. AND YES I can still wake the dead with this thing ! LOL

FYI: The pypes xpipe comes with a 3 peice design. The X, and the 2 downpipes. And it also comes with little half cone shaped things that go into the downpipes that connect to the manifold. YOu wanna install them or you will have exhaust leaks.

I don't because we don't weld stainless. You can sure weld with steel wire, but the weld will penetrate the regular steel well before the stainless. Eventually causing the weld to fail... If not rust first. So no thanks. I've always been a stickler of not cutting my stock exhaust system to hack mufflers in. I will spend the extra money and buy a kit. Once again, I don't care about "MUCH CHEAPER !"

On that note... I guess I should skip buying the cams I've been wanting... And just weld on the cam lobes... Grind them down and be done with it. "MUCH CHEAPER !" And I run 5 shops.... So why not? I have the tools to do it. Must be better. :flag: