QA1 Coilovers, Granatelli K/A-arms Help.

TenorPlayinGuy

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2001
Canyon Country, Ca
I had just finished painting the car, and while I was waiting for some other parts to come in I decided to go ahead and put on my Tubular stuff and coil overs. Seeing as how I need new tires and an alignment anyway I didn't worry too much about it.

K-member was pretty straight forward, unbolt 8 bolts, lower out of way, bolt on new one making sure it's square yada yada.

A-arms too very easy to do. No real issues at all.

Come time to install the coilovers. I am using a set of H2003 Struts and 325lb 14" coils. I ran into the normal interference points with the brake lines so I bent and moved them out of the way, no issues with that. BUT I cannot make the darn thing any lower than a fresh off the factory floor Foxbody mustang. If I go too loose on the spring seat it doesn't make any difference. Its like either A) the spring rate is just too much for the vehicle, (where I don't see how that is since I see plenty of 400+ lb spring vehicles way lower than mine) or B) the arms are binding on something such as the swaybar, and not allowing them to compress correctly.

What do you guys think? Heres an image of roughly how it sat before and afterwards.

I went from a stock K-member/Control arm (with Gripp bushings and Steeda X2 balljoints) with BBK Progressive Coil, and KYB GR2 strut to the New setup mentioned above.

Before: (yes it's before the paint)
View attachment 224015

and after:
View attachment 224016 :shrug:

It does ride a WHOLE FRIGGIN lot smoother though I might add. Going Coilover is gonna save my kidneys.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got steeda Plates. Would the bushings make a difference in which set up I have them in? I know your using the MM stuff on your track car. I am pretty sure I have the shorter Endlinks from a 94+ on my sway bars. I'm gonna pull em and see if it makes ANY difference. But I didn't think the shorter the spring would make a difference, only with clearance issues on the back side of the wheels, inner fenders and etc.

I'll try and get back.

I've got steeda Plates. Would the bushings make a difference in which set up I have them in? I know your using the MM stuff on your track car. I am pretty sure I have the shorter Endlinks from a 94+ on my sway bars. I'm gonna pull em and see if it makes ANY difference. But I didn't think the shorter the spring would make a difference, only with clearance issues on the back side of the wheels, inner fenders and etc.

I'll try and get back.

ok 4" shorter spring means 4' shorter height and 4" more of adjustability look here
Untitled.jpg

not great but it gets the point across

gotcha, well here is what I just did. (Don't know if my endlinks played a huge role but I did this with them removed- I think I need to grease it up)
This is before I tried.
View attachment 224009
View attachment 224010

And after I bottomed out the spring seat on the strut.
View attachment 224011
View attachment 224012

I don't think I should bottom out the seat, since it made the cap loose and now I need to make sure it's aligned everytime I lower the car. But yeah. If it's ok, I am at least lower than I want to be, with no clearance issues, and I can raise it up a bit til I hit where I want it.