Q's about Zex Kits, Please inform!

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
I was wondering what i could get by with a stock motor, hp wise, say 100, 75,shot etc. Also, what do you recccomend, a dry kit or a wet, and does zex come in both? Im new to this, and was wondering how far to "push the limits" on my car. Thanks!....I figure a zex kit should allow me to own a Lt1, plus some! thanks :D

• Sponsors (?)

Nitroua on a stock engine is fine. As long as you get a well made kit and inatall it propperly with all the safety stuff you should have no problem. Most things i have read say not to go over a 125hp shot on the stock bottom end, but if it was my car I would keep it to a 75-100hp shot just to be safe.

I still have my Zex on. Yeah I thought about a used supercharger but unless you are willing to pretty much double the investment on the supporting equipment a blower needs, the Nitrous starts to look really good. Oh yeah, It's like 45 bucks for a 10lb bottle now.

100 shot is plenty. You will go through a lot of tires with those 3.73's.

No wet shot, get the dry. Wet shot you have the chance of backfiring and blowing off your intake. As long as you get a larger fuel pump (190 or 255lph @ ~$100), the dry kit is plenty safe on the 5.0.

GreenMustangGt said:
cool, thanks....Damn!!! its 45 dollars to fill a tank? how long do they last? also, so i NEED a fuel pump, and how about a regulator? thanks all!

Im pretty sure a 75 shot will go about 2 minutes straight. So figure one race is less then 14 seconds. But the power production suffers when the bottle gets low. Get a bottle warmer as well since we get alot of coldddd weather.

Yeah, I use mine sparingly (haven't been to the drags yet) and I only go through a bottle in a summer.

For the 100 shot or more, I'd say a fuel pump would be some well spent insurance. You don't need a regulator, but if you want to fine tune the A/F on a dyno with the N20 you might want one. If anything, the Zex runs rich with their listed settings.

A Heater isn't necessary, but it might be wise to get one since we're up in the north-east. Depends on your budget.

Nah, It's called a pressure regulator because no matter how much flow is getting to the regulator from the pump, it always shows the 35 psi (or whatever the stock setting is) to the injectors. Any excess fuel is routed back to the tank via the return line.

I have a 255 pump and have noticed no difference in gas mileage.

94whitesnake said:
I still have my Zex on. Yeah I thought about a used supercharger but unless you are willing to pretty much double the investment on the supporting equipment a blower needs, the Nitrous starts to look really good. Oh yeah, It's like 45 bucks for a 10lb bottle now.

100 shot is plenty. You will go through a lot of tires with those 3.73's.

No wet shot, get the dry. Wet shot you have the chance of backfiring and blowing off your intake. As long as you get a larger fuel pump (190 or 255lph @ ~$100), the dry kit is plenty safe on the 5.0.

if you were at the track how many runs would you say a 10lb bottle would give you...

Any idea how long they last....

balderman said:
if you were at the track how many runs would you say a 10lb bottle would give you...

Any idea how long they last....

I have no idea. Maybe someone who frequents the track with Nitrous can respond???

I am curious as to why you ask, balderman, since you already have a blower?

EDIT:

Taken from the other nitrous thread currently going on this board posted by gcomfx.com:
"75 shot would last me about 16 runs or so... 100 shot would last 8-10... the 125 shot only lasts about 5 full runs. Give or take some depending on the weather (no bottle warmer). I've used more than one bottle in an afternoon at the track!"
He has the Zex dry kit.