Roush quad shocks for saleen

mrvids

Dec 7, 2004
Michigan
I have a '97 saleen with 18" tires/rims, and when I tried to replace the quad shocks on the back with a KYB Gas-A-Just KG4521 they were too big. That shock is what the '97 GT calls for. On the car was a bent Motorcraft F4CZ-4A489-AB
I'm not sure if it was bent so it would fit behind the tire or not as the corner of the gas tank was also bent. The exterior of the shock was flattened (and fattened) a little.

My question is;
is the quad shock important, and if so, what shock do I replace it with?

I ordered one from AutoZone that matched the Motorcraft number but it won't arrive until tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

quad shock

It helps with eliminating a lot of wheel hop. You dont need them if you do some other rear susp. mod that I can't recall right now. But if everything else is stock saleen, I would definately use the quad shocks, unless they were in the way for a certain wheel package, but in your case they are not so I would replace them. Why not try new ford/motorcraft oem? I recently bought 2 sets of brand new racecraft n2's from a guy and both sets he had came with quadshocks that read bilstein on them. They were probably NOS (new old stock), but maybe bilstein still sells them. Try bilstein or a bilstein dealer. That would be my first move. Oh and they may look long while the car's weight is sitting on the stock ones, but once you raise the car the rear shock is extended, the new quad, even extended should fit right in (assuming its the right part for your car). Let us know what you find out and end up doing.

I found the Motorcraft # and got the same shock in a generic brand, the new one was better (stiffer in both directions) than the one I removed. The Mustang GT quad shock is larger than the one on the Saleen.

I need to see if the one on the drivers side is bent. I'd like to replace the rear shocks with N2s, but I haven't had much luck finding them locally.