Quality long tube Headers and a 4-speed

Pbum5

Oct 27, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
I have a 67 Fastback w/ a 4spd. I have a funky set of headers on it. They were on the car when I bought many years ago. The driver side are in 3 pieces to go around the clutch assembly. They weird thing is that after the clutch assembly all the tubes line up and the other 2 pieces of the header bolt up to it (any idea what they are?) I had a make a custom gasket for it and it held up for a long time. That was until yesterday. I was going for a drive after an oil change since I am storing it today for the winter and it blew out the gasket.

It’s time for a new set of headers. I have a lot of time since I won’t be installing them until next spring. Just wanted some opinions on what’s out there.

I have a healthy 289 and someday will go with a SB stroker.

This is what I need.

-Has to work with a manual clutch assembly (possible T-5 swap someday)
-Need decent ground clearance
-Quality. I don’t want the cheapest set out there or the most expensive. Just a good set that will last. Sounds like ceramic coated is the way to go.

I was thinking about Hooker Competition Ceramic

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925084+4294839039+4294840071+115&autoview=sku.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Kindof reminds me of a funky 2-1 system on a Sportster that curved around really weird. the odd thing about it is that it had the H pipe( That was what made it so funky.)
Anyway I think Hooker has a good product as well as Heddman. I think Edelbrock makes a set to match it's total power package deal. Another option is the wrap or "socks", which would help w/ heat retention and underhood temperatures a little more efficiently than ceramic. Plus ya don't have to worry about chipping the finish during installation.
Good luck.

Sounds like Hooker Super Comps to me. If you want the best, check out these headers www.fordpowertrain.com

I was trying to stay away from Hooker Super Comps because they are thinner gauge steel than the Hooker Comps. My logic is thicker steel is better for longevity/reliability.?.

The Ford Power Train headers are nice.. $450 is steep + coating.
Anyone have these what is the price for a set that ceramic coated?

I have Hooker Comps, they were on the car for a long time and I sent them out to have the Jet-Hot coated, and I am really happy with the results. I have a manual steering and mechanical clutch linkage, a scattershield and a Tremec 5-speed, not fitment problems, they do hand a bit low and my car is lowered so I just have to watch big speed bumps

I like the Hooker Comps myself. 6901s.
They are in one piece and go around your Z bar.
The Super Comps are thinner metal... easier to dent and rot.
Hooker told me straight up they are primarily for weight savings, not anything else. (Don't make any extra power)
Also, if you want coating, don't do Hooker's coating!
Get the headers uncoated and have another company like Jet Hot coat them.
Jet Hot even carries Hookers in stock to coat them as ordered.
I think they are even cheaper that way too.

I am sounding like a Jet Hot commercial! And I don't even like coating myself.
Anyway the point is that Hooker does NOT coat the entire header.
Just the outside.
Other companies coat them in and out so they don't rot from the inside.
Just have to ask to make sure.

Another option is the wrap or "socks", which would help w/ heat retention and underhood temperatures a little more efficiently than ceramic. Plus ya don't have to worry about chipping the finish during installation.
Be careful with header wrap.
It retains moisture against your headers, promoting rot.
It also instantly voids any and all warranty provided by the header maker.
All the header companies have that policy.
The dirt, grime, moisture, and heat conspire to ruin the header quickly on any car driven more than a quarter mile at a time.

I like the Hooker Comps myself. 6901s.
They are in one piece and go around your Z bar.
The Super Comps are thinner metal... easier to dent and rot.
Hooker told me straight up they are primarily for weight savings, not anything else. (Don't make any extra power)
Also, if you want coating, don't do Hooker's coating!
Get the headers uncoated and have another company like Jet Hot coat them.
Jet Hot even carries Hookers in stock to coat them as ordered.
I think they are even cheaper that way too.

I am sounding like a Jet Hot commercial! And I don't even like coating myself.
Anyway the point is that Hooker does NOT coat the entire header.
Just the outside.
Other companies coat them in and out so they don't rot from the inside.
Just have to ask to make sure.

good to know. I like the Jet Hot option.

why don't you like the coatings?

I have Hooker Comps, they were on the car for a long time and I sent them out to have the Jet-Hot coated, and I am really happy with the results. I have a manual steering and mechanical clutch linkage, a scattershield and a Tremec 5-speed, not fitment problems, they do hand a bit low and my car is lowered so I just have to watch big speed bumps

Thanks. I am leaning that way.

Step up and get the Fordpowertrain headers, you'll be done forever. They are thicker gage, perfect quality and they don't hang down any lower than your frame rails. If your going to keep the car for awhile and putting in a spendy stroker, to me it's well worth the piece of mind of not cringing everytime you pull into a driveway or speed bump and worrying/maybe tearing out your collectors.

Step up and get the Fordpowertrain headers, you'll be done forever. They are thicker gage, perfect quality and they don't hang down any lower than your frame rails. If your going to keep the car for awhile and putting in a spendy stroker, to me it's well worth the piece of mind of not cringing everytime you pull into a driveway or speed bump and worrying/maybe tearing out your collectors.

Looking at them online I don't think they would work with Z bar?

Do they?

I know they work with a Mustang Steve cable clutch from his website..

I'm sending some Doug's headers to Jet Hot and as I recall the quote is $280 for the Sterling treatment. I went with Jet Hot because they coat inside and out. They also claim to make a longer lasting product than any of the copycats. I ordered my headers "bare" so I could test fit them and see if they needed any work with the Chevy wrench to make them fit. They did not. In fact these headers are unbelieveably custom formed to fit the '65-'66, although I am using a hydraulic throwout bearing so I don't know how they will work with a Z-bar. Here's a pic:

dou-d690ys_w.jpg

The pic is the coated option, which goes for $530 at Summit. The bare ones are $390. (Yeah, that's right, I'll be having $670 in my headers when I'm done. :( )

Attachments

• dou-d690ys_w.jpg
    dou-d690ys_w.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 82
I'm sending some Doug's headers to Jet Hot and as I recall the quote is $280 for the Sterling treatment. I went with Jet Hot because they coat inside and out. They also claim to make a longer lasting product than any of the copycats. I ordered my headers "bare" so I could test fit them and see if they needed any work with the Chevy wrench to make them fit. They did not. In fact these headers are unbelieveably custom formed to fit the '65-'66, although I am using a hydraulic throwout bearing so I don't know how they will work with a Z-bar. Here's a pic:

dou-d690ys_w.jpg

The pic is the coated option, which goes for $530 at Summit. The bare ones are $390. (Yeah, that's right, I'll be having $670 in my headers when I'm done. :( )

Those are nice and look like they could work with a Z-bar. A bit spendy though. I know that you get what you pay for..

Attachments

• dou-d690ys_w.jpg
    dou-d690ys_w.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 85

I called Ford Power Train and the guy I spoke with was great.

Their long tube headers will NOT work with a Z-bar. They where designed for clearance and 5-Speed swaps.

So that is a factor if I stay with my Top loader 4spd.

In case you are wondering about the price.
FPT = Uncoated $ 495 Coated $ 695

Accufab headers will work with a factor Z-bar and give great ground clearance.

I have a set on my 65' with a 351w and like them, except it is pretty hard to get the Z-bar installed. Once it is in, it works fine.

http://www.accufabracing.com/exhaust.htm

Here are a few pics of mine which uses 1 3/4" tubes. This is an older set that have not been coated:

cokechallenge-1.jpg

1IMG_0871_tn.jpg

1IMG_0867_tn.jpg

Attachments

• cokechallenge-1.jpg
    cokechallenge-1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 893
  • 1IMG_0871_tn.jpg
    1IMG_0871_tn.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 1IMG_0867_tn.jpg
    1IMG_0867_tn.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 109
I never had clearance issues with 6901s...:shrug:

Other headers, yes...
My car is lowered about an inch, the Lakewood bell and Moroso pan hung lower than the headers.

I admit though, really aggressive speed bumps and aggressive driving don't mix with just about any header! ;)