question about 2001 gt rear disc brakes on my 87

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
mods, if this is supposed to be in tech, i apologize, feel free to move it

some of you might remember, but i'm picking up an 01 gt front brake setup for my car (dual piston PBR calipers, rotors, spindles) from a co-worker, and just the other day, i found out he has an extra rearend with the brake components on it still (rear is bent so i'm just getting the brake setup). i also pulled the master cylinder from the half of a parts car we just trashed for him at work, just in case i needed it (i have no idea if i do or not).

my question is:

what all do i need to get this stuff to work on my car?

i know about the bumpsteer issue 96-04 spindles cause, so i plan on selling them for a set of 94-95 spindles. what else do i need to get the fronts installed? what kind of brake hoses? can i even use the 01 gt master cylinder? it came off of an ABS car with hydroboost. what brake booster and prop. valve also?

what about the rear? aside from the calipers and rotors, what else can i use off of the 01 gt rearend? what axles should i get? what else will i need that i can't get from the 01 gt rear or my factory rear?

i'm a n00b when it comes to this conversion, so any help is appreciated.

thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

For the fronts, you should be able to use the 01 brake hoses, with a adapter (sold at maximum motorsports) on the passenger side.

I've seen a hydro-boost setup on a few foxs, but I think it's a lot of work. You'd probably be money ahead to find a 94-95 master cylinder/ booster combo.

You'll need a 3 to 2 port master cylinder conversion, and an adjustable prop. valve to set up the rear disc.

I think the 98+? rear ends are even wider then the 94-95's. So you'd want to find a different set of axles. But you should be able to use the caliper brackets, moan braces, and calipers/rotors you pulled.

Then after that I think you just need some adapters to use your rear brake line with the hoses from the 01.

For the fronts, you should be able to use the 01 brake hoses, with a adapter (sold at maximum motorsports) on the passenger side.

I've seen a hydro-boost setup on a few foxs, but I think it's a lot of work. You'd probably be money ahead to find a 94-95 master cylinder/ booster combo.

You'll need a 3 to 2 port master cylinder conversion, and an adjustable prop. valve to set up the rear disc.

I think the 98+? rear ends are even wider then the 94-95's. So you'd want to find a different set of axles. But you should be able to use the caliper brackets, moan braces, and calipers/rotors you pulled.

Then after that I think you just need some adapters to use your rear brake line with the hoses from the 01.

thanks for the quick reply lance! so for the brake hoses, i just need an adapter for the passenger side? i had a feeling i wouldn't be able to use the master cylinder...oh well. i'll start looking for a 94/95 MC/booster setup.

what is this 3 to 2 port master cylinder conversion you're talking about? is it a particular master cylinder or some sort of junction piece?

cool, so for the rear i'll just need to get some axles of proper length, bolt on the disc brake setup to my current rearend, and adapt the lines together? should be simple enough

thanks for the quick reply lance! so for the brake hoses, i just need an adapter for the passenger side? i had a feeling i wouldn't be able to use the master cylinder...oh well. i'll start looking for a 94/95 MC/booster setup.

Yeah, the SN-95's are goofy in that one side is coarse thread, and the other is fine I think. If I remember, the fine thread on the passenger SN hose doesn't match up the the fox brake line.

what is this 3 to 2 port master cylinder conversion you're talking about? is it a particular master cylinder or some sort of junction piece?

The fox master cylinders have 3 ports in them to distribute brake pressure, the newer SN-95 MC's only have 2.

Here's what maximum motorsports offers.

Master Cylinder adapter kit, 93 Cobra/94-95 GT M/C, 1987-93 [MMBAK-3] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

MMBAK-3.jpg

cool, so for the rear i'll just need to get some axles of proper length, bolt on the disc brake setup to my current rearend, and adapt the lines together? should be simple enough

Yep, that about sums it up. If you want to get fancy, you might need to use a couple self tapping screws to secure the hose brackets to your 8.8 housing.
And there is a few tricks to getting the e-brake working again.

See 87-93 Mustang 5.0 Brake upgrade pages. Improve your 60-0 times! for the best and cheapest brake upgrades and 5 lug swaps. The site doesn't sell anything but some fittings, but the tech notes are great. It tells you what junkyard or remanufactured parts to use to upgrade your brakes. It has almost everything you could want to know about Mustang brakes on it.

You can use all the brake hardward from the rear, but you need a set of 94-98 axles to use in your current rear end.

Since you are using the 2 piston PBR's, you basically have a 99-04 V6 Mustang setup. They use a 1" bore MC. So you want to pick up a 1" MC...either 1993 Cobra, or 99-04 ABS-equipped V6. However, some say the 99-04 OEM V6 brakes are a little soft (on the actual V6), so you could firm them up a bit by going with the 94-95 GT 1 1/16" MC. How much firmer this will be? no idea. Might be a situation where you need to try both. 94-95 GT MC's can be had dirt cheap...under $25. Plus side is all the MC's have the same post sizes (M12 + M10) so you can use the same 3-2 conversion and easily swap if you decide to change it out for firmer/softer feel. I leave this up to you because everyone has different ideas of what feels "good"

Booster can be 93 cobra, any 94-95 or a 99-04 booster.

NRC brackets and fox axles for 94-04 rear disc set up. Or get 94-98 shafts and use all the hardware from your 2001 axle. Say goodbye to your 10" wide wheels out back with the 94-98 axles though. With those wheels you have to stay fox length axle.

I would use the 96-04 spindles up front man. The 94-95 are the ones that cause the bumpsteer issues. My two cars that have the 96-04 spindles handle way better than my black notch that had the 94-95 stuff on it. I don't know why so many people hate on those spindles. BTW...with the addition to 96-04 spindles up front....kiss your rack limiters goodbye. (I saw you have them installed in another thread)

NRC brackets and fox axles for 94-04 rear disc set up. Or get 94-98 shafts and use all the hardware from your 2001 axle. How wide of wheels your running out back though? With 94-98 axles 17X10's will be pushed out past the quarter. You'll have to run 9's with a +24mm offset or even better the 9's with the +45mm offset.

I would use the 96-04 spindles up front man. The 94-95 are the ones that cause the bumpsteer issues. My two cars that have the 96-04 spindles handle way better than my black notch that had the 94-95 stuff on it. I don't know why so many people hate on those spindles.

Nope its the other way around. Stock K-member needs 94-95 to fix the bumpsteer problems, on the 96-04 spindles you cant get enough spacers on the shaft to cure the bumpsteer. Reason is on the 96+ stuff the rod is straight and for proper bumpersteer the tie rod basically needs to occupy where the rod itself is, so anything above that is all negative affected bumpsteer, the rod is bent on the 94-95 stuff so you can get the proper geometry.

Nope its the other way around. Stock K-member needs 94-95 to fix the bumpsteer problems, on the 96-04 spindles you cant get enough spacers on the shaft to cure the bumpsteer. Reason is on the 96+ stuff the rod is straight and for proper bumpersteer the tie rod basically needs to occupy where the rod itself is, so anything above that is all negative affected bumpsteer, the rod is bent on the 94-95 stuff so you can get the proper geometry.

:scratch: All I know is when I had the 94-95's on my black notch those tie rods were way up in the air when they are supposed to be parellel with the LCA's. On Hack Job, (with 96+ spindles) they were parellel with the LCA's. I never liked how my black car was with the 94-95 stuff.

i dont know why that would be
94_modified_spindle.jpg

Tie rods needs to be parrallel with the ground, same with the control arms
VS. this
96_spindle.jpg

Notice how the tie rods ends CANT be level

Yes, the 96-04 spindles have that SLIGHT twist where the tie rod slips through. You gotta watch though. I've been through several pairs of those spindles and a lot of them were bent. I had 5 pairs sitting on the counter and all of them had different twists to them. I used a pair that had the least amount of it. But, the arm itself is straight. The 94-95 spindles arm is turned upward then flat. That is what makes the tie rod (inner and outer) go upward and out of parellel with the ground and control arm.

I'm not talking about the twist, im talking about the actualy level of the arm itself. Notice how the 95 moves up and the 96+ is straight. Thats what makes the difference, either way bumpsteer kits really do need to be used in both applications.

I'm not talking about the twist, im talking about the actualy level of the arm itself. Notice how the 95 moves up and the 96+ is straight. Thats what makes the difference, either way bumpsteer kits really do need to be used in both applications.

With different suspension, and tire and wheel options, I'm sure they do. With both my cars that had them I ran stock Mustang suspension. Had lowering springs in one of them, but neither car needed a bump steer kit.

Yeah was bumpsteer ever checked, just cause the car drove great and it was level doesnt mean it didnt have bumpsteer

When the car hits bumps and the steering follows that is what bumpsteer is. I didn't have that. When I had the 94-95 spindles on my black notch, it had bumpsteer. I hated driving that thing. That car needed a kit to bring the tie rods down.