Question about 95 Cobra Trans

slaved

Jan 21, 2004
I am looking at a 95 Cobra and have a question about the transmission.The one I am looking at has an automatic trans and I wanted to know if the 95's were ever produced factory with it or if it would be an aftermarket thing.
I haven't been able to hear the car run or even look at the engine due to owner has it sitting somewhere other then his lot for security reasons.So i am waiting for him to meet me over to look at the engine and check to see if this is a true Cobra.

ALSO might as well ask while I have your attention.What would be a good price for this car.
Has a rebuild title due to collsion in the rear
58,000 miles some minor stuff needs done...mirror on passanger side replaced back seat put back into place hood needs adjusted and emblam by the hood release needs to be replaced.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Shawn

• Sponsors (?)

I'm no cobra expert, but I'm 99.9% positive that the option for an automatic was never there for a Cobra. If it's a true Cobra, it's got to be after market. I'd do a Lemon check on the VIN, it'll tell you what model the car is. Sounds like he's stiffin' ya to me, but who knows, someone might of actually wanted an automatic Cobra.... I don't know why... but someone might...

-Shaun

Yeah thats my problem...I do know what to look for under the hood.But as far as just looking at it and seeing it has the cobra ground effects sproiler and all that.Its a nice lookin car and if its a "true" Cobra the price doesn;t seem to be to bad for it.but if it is a 95 GT dressed as a Cobra with a rebuild title I'd be lucky to force my self into giving him 2500$ for the car.

Shawn

I went this morning and seen the car again,this time checking the vin number.The 8th letter was a D so I guess it is a true Cobra with an automatic transmission.
I also talked to the guy and he said it was factory and that the numbers all matched.I dunno if this could still be a fraud or what.Any ideas now?

Shawn

well the guy is obviously lying to you about the tranny, no cobra ever came with that tranny stock, and if it did whoever bought it had ALOT of money to pay ford to custom make it. you should do a carfax on it if your really interested in buying it. even if its a new tranny i guess thats a good thing becuase it has less miles on it but its your call. or what you could do is call ford or something and ask them, and let them run the vin number?

Some one could have found a totaled or stripped cobra and added all of the cobra goodies and a lot of GT stuff to end up with a salvage title cobra. I would look at the fuel injectors. Ford color coded them, I'm not sure what color you need, but it is a 24 lb injector.

If it's a 19 lb injector, it's just a gt motor with a cobra intake, valve covers and MAF. It might still be a nice driver, but it isn't worth any more than a GT, but in the long run that serial number might be worth something to a restoration freak.

Nope...If it came factory with auto...it was NOT a Cobra. There's a couple brackets right near the rear ABS sensor wheels that Have Cobra Stamped on them...look there...that's something a lot of Fobras won't have. Even if it is a real Cobra, if this guy's telling you it came factory with an Auto he doesn't know much about the car...Buyer beware.

some other things that you can decipher from GT to cobra that some people may not bother to change are

Lower radiator hose has "COBRA" stamped on the bottom
Steering wheel says Cobra and not the running horse emblem
white faced gauges
specific spoiler
says "Mustang" on rear bumper, not "Cobra" or Mustang GT" and the panel above the exhaust is body color, not black like the GT
cobra specific brakes
they only came in Rio Red, White, or Black
"Cobra" stamped valve covers

and everything everyone else said; injectors/vin number/intake/NO AUTO

hope this helps, good luck with your decision

Yeah I loked at the brakes and the steering wheel all said cobra...speedometer was the cobra one.What could have been done was someone pu the Auto trans in it.
The sproiler and front bumper cover and rear bumper cover matched a Cobra.
Anything is possible.
Where else would the vin number be that is hard to get to on the body.I can check there.

Shawn

does the wing have the LED 3rd brake light in it? it is probbaly just a cobra with a auto tranny someone put in it. but its deffinatly not auto from the factory. i would call ford if i were you, if u look on the valve covers where the white sticker that says cobra is , it should have a number to call on there, i think its something like 1-800-svt... something, i forget

I got ahold of a friend that knows alot about Cobras,here is what he had to say.If someone was to put in an auto trans a new computer and wiring would also have to be put in for the transmission to work since it is controled by the computer.
So what we are going to do is when I get ready to buy it and I take it for the test drive in a few weeks,I'll take it to him and we are going to look at all the various places the VIn numbers are and match them up and see what we get.I guess that would be really the only way to be 100% sure that I am getting a real Cobra.I don;t mind having the Auto trans at all I just don't want to get stiffed into buying a look alike.
Thanks for all your help and I will be sure to keep oyu all updated on this to see how it comes about.
Shawn

I got some history of the car as well today.The place that had the car the first time was busted for stealing cars and using the parts on legite cars or just switching vins in some cases.But this car was sold for 18,000 through them a few years back,then the person who bought it totaled the ass of it which is not noticeable now,and now the guy i am buying it from wants 4500$ for it but needs some small stuff done to it.Like I said in my previous post I will be going over the car and checking everything out and making sutre the mileage is the actual 58,000 it says the place got busted for odometer tampering as well but I have seen 2 cobras they sold (a 94 and 01) and both seem to be in good shape and fast so I will have to wait till I get the cash all together and see

Shawn