question about ball joint issue

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
I replaced most steering parts as the rack had a leak. take it to get aligned and they told me there was too much play in it and the upper (laugh) and lower ball joints need to be replaced. I replaced the ball joints a year ago with moog parts. I take it home to look at it and sure enough the dust cover on one is completely missing, and the other is barely hanging on.

would this cause that much play in the wheel?? Since the ball joints are fairly new I am going clean off all the grease and pump more in more greaseto clean out the nasties. Then get some dust covers from auto store and put them on hopefully they will stay intact. anyone else have issues with this???I may need to do the wheel bearings as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

seem like everytime i get work done on any of my cars, they always say ," sir, your ball joints are going to need replaced". i think it's a way for them to make money.

hmm, I doubt they are worn. I have used MOOG in the past and they make quality parts. But even so they have barely a year on them. Just seems weird the boots are gone. the last ones were stockers and had over 100k on them with the boots still intact. regardless I will take it apart this weekend to make sure. I have also heard this in the past (about needing new ones) then took it to another shop and they said everything was fine.

Sounds like they popped the dust boots off the ball joints to make a buck in a desperate economy. Take a floor jack and lift the driver side tire up one inch by putting the jack under the lower control arm spring cup, so the suspension is loaded, then take a crow bar and put it under tire and pry upwards, if the ball joint is shot you will feel movement and clunking.