Question about cats

jefferz

Oct 21, 2004
Spokane, WA
Hey Guys,

I am kinda nervous about this but I am thinking about buying an offroad prochamber for my 95.

I have never had anything without cats before and I have heard Washington State can issue a ticket of $10,000 for being caught without cats.

Is anyone familiar with this?

My Muffler shop told me to go ahead and do it because they don't do a visual check unless you REALLY piss them off. I am just worried about it.

Any Advice?

• Sponsors (?)

That 10,000 fine is like getting a ticket for jay walking. Is that just what you heard or what you know to be in the law books? Often times they put that deter people when in reality you would prob get a ticket for a few hundred. If you run w/ out cats and dont have to do emissions then your probably ok. If your worried about it being to loud then just dont be stupid. I run an O/R H pipe with Magnapack mufflers, if I can manage to not get harassed by the cops then you should be all set.

i say get a dog cats are useless.....wait whats this thread about? :shrug: ....ohhh emissions yeah i love michigan no inspections !!!! horray! i know a lot of guys that need to get inspected just keep your stock pipe around and when its time for testing throw it back on :D

We had a thread just about a week ago about this very subject :D

It got W A Y off track so please allow me to focus on one subject
and one subject only with my input here which is ... performance.

High Flow cats restrict the air flow very little
thus
They only hold back 2 to 3 rwhp

Where that other thread got all off track is :crazy:
peeps kept on talking how they got such a gain from getting rid
of their OEM cat mid pipe.

Well ... of course that would happen with TWO cats per side
and FOUR cats for the grand total ;)

I don't presume to know your motivation for a cat-less mid pipe :nono:
but
Lack of performance should not be one of them ... IMHO :)

Grady

I will b getting hi flo cats. on my engine they subtract around 6rwhp. Without cats it will be 2 stinky and waay too lound. I will miss the hollow sound tho.

Thats the dyno max bullet high flow btw. i dunno about other brands. i gotta rebuy them cuz the one time i used nitrous made em rattle when hot!