Question about Cobra wing?

HO5POINTO1990

Aug 12, 2003
San Jose
Ok, My wing just got dented up, and shattered :notnice: So I need a new wing, and was wondering if I should go with the cobra wing? I want one pretty bad, but the one I am looking at doesn't have the third light... :shrug: and it says to install "For installation, holes need to be drilled and filled. 3rd brake light NOT included." It's 145 dollars with 35 shipping. Is this worth it? and one quick question... aren't cobra's supposed to fit right in to the stock HOLES on any 97-93 hatchback? J/w I own a 1990 gt for those who don't know what application im using. And the cobra wing is a 1987-1993. I knwo that sounds redundant, but im just clarifying. Hopefully someone can tell me what they think :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I put a cobra spoiler on a 93 LX. I had to patch 13 holes and drill 9 new ones. Was a lot of work. If you have a gt I would think you might get away with drilling 4 more holes (for the two inside supports). That is if the GT holes at the ends of the spoiler are the same as the Cobra. As for the light, just use the one from tour spoiler. I got my light right from a GT. Same thing

HO5POINTO1990 said:
Ok, My wing just got dented up, and shattered :notnice: So I need a new wing, and was wondering if I should go with the cobra wing? I want one pretty bad, but the one I am looking at doesn't have the third light... :shrug: and it says to install "For installation, holes need to be drilled and filled. 3rd brake light NOT included." It's 145 dollars with 35 shipping. Is this worth it? and one quick question... aren't cobra's supposed to fit right in to the stock HOLES on any 97-93 hatchback? J/w I own a 1990 gt for those who don't know what application im using. And the cobra wing is a 1987-1993. I knwo that sounds redundant, but im just clarifying. Hopefully someone can tell me what they think :flag:

yeppers. most wings require a gt hatch light. i have a wing goin on my gt vert (i think the old brake light is smaller on the vert). the HB lights are hard to find (or im too dumb to find them) and pricey. i think ill have to put on the thinking hat and either make something with leds or make the vert light work with some work.

enjoy the new toy. :)

Smitty, were you able to fill the old holes decently (read: look like they were never there). im gonna have to do that to my POS luggage rack and all its rivet holes. just curious.

I was also wondering about the Cobra wing, since I was going to put one on. Is it that hard to drill and fill the holes, and does it look good after painting over the filled spots? Any tips, experiences, and pictures would be apreciated. Thanks.

I'm installing an OEM 93 cobra wing on my 91 GT.. There are three holes that are exposed, on the drivers side there are two; the center hole and the brake light wiring hole. On the passenger side only the center hole is exposed.

I will be welding the holes shut, you can use body filler to fill them in,but I rather weld them. Here is picture of the drivers side holes...

attachment.php

Attachments

• cobra.JPG
    cobra.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 691
thanks for some info. for me:no clean trunk lids around, and if there are, they are way expensive (not paying over 100 bucks for one, nor shipping on ebay when they have one). and the sprayer owes me, so he is doing the fill, body work for little. i just wanted to know if they can be filled decently to look as though they werent ever there (i suck at body work, so i dont know what a decent body man can do).

since its a vert,i think the holes to fill will be small (rivets and small torx screws). i dont know how a gt hatch spoiler is secured. thanks for any info. :nice:

damn. that sux. I thought that putting this cobra wing would be pretty easy. Like almost as universal as just swapping the same wing. Whatever. I guess I'll just get another stock wing that will fit ont my car from a junkyard and save the money. I have not done any body work in my life except when I dented my left fender and spent 5 hours trying to dent it out much as possible so it looked straighter. other than that... nothing. It's just that I wanna get this thing on as fast/easy as possible since I am going to be sanding down my car and prepping it for a new paint job. Ok, thanks for all the posts. If you have any suggestions on a wing someone send some pics or something if there are any cool wings that AREN'T the saleen wing. (TOTALLY OVERKILLED)