question about driving with welds

• Sponsors (?)

onehotstallion said:
I looked into getting those for my car and was told by all sources that 15" rims will not clear the front brakes on 99+ stangs. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I've heard of Weld wheels telling people this so you will go with there more expensive version, the XP wheels. I run 15x3.5 and all you have to have is a 7/16 spacer.

Yellowtang
With 15x8s on the front I dont see any reason why you wont be able to hit the back roads. If you planned on the 15x3.5 dont even think about corner carving.

Well weld wheels depending on the level are not ment to be used on the street continuously. The creaking is the aluminum and is not a good thing. Most of the weld series wheels use a spacer sandwiched between the inner and outer wheel. This spacer floats until you tighten it down, the outer rim compresses and acts like a big washer to keep the lugs under load so they won't come loose.

I know people that have run welds all the time on the road. But usually had to replace one or two a year because of a pothole.

Spacers are a bad idea for street use. I have seen many break and many wheels rolling without a car.

Yes it is the wheel flexing. Basically you are flexing the aluminum over and over and it will eventuatly give in and crack. Same premis as over tightening the lugs and damaging the wheel.

There are welds for the street, pro stars and draglites aren't them.