question about front lower control arms.....

Green 94 5.0

Founding Member
Mar 25, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
a friend of mine hit a curb in his 97 cobra and twisted one of the a-arms pretty bad. i still have my stockers from my swap to the 03-04 cobra a-arms and have mine available to donate to limit the cost of the repair. my question is, will they fit and are they the same? i am assuming they will fit since the 03 arms were a direct replacement for mine, but are they the same stamping? thanks for the help.....

• Sponsors (?)

They will work on the 97 and are the same, no better or worse.
The 03 Cobra arms is a good upgrade, better bushings and ball joint. I got mine from a 03 cobra owner going to coil overs for cheap, so it was easier than replacing the ball joint and bushings.

i didnt notice a performance difference, but my stock balljoints were shot and it was either take my stockers to steeda to have the balljoints pressed out and replaced with x2's, or just pick up the 03 cobra arms which came with new stock balljoints for about the same price. i just opted to replace more old parts with new ones. i havent noticed any handling difference at all though.

The 03 arms don't really give a performance benefit that you can really feel. Your turning radius will be a bit tighter (the arms are stamped differently), and your front wheelbase will be a bit wider (about 3/4 " per side I think), but not enough to make much of a difference. I have the 03 arms and 99+ spindles & hubs, and I think I added 1 1/2 inches per side. My 17x8's stick out from the fenders a bit now.

I got the 99+ hubs & spindles 'cause a set of rotors rusted to my hubs, they wouldn't come off. Besides, I had a bad bearing anyway and I was going to upgrade to the 2-piston PBR's like Green_94.

Which reminds me, that Mustang's getting Cobra brakes now. I now have an extra set of front two-piston PBR's.....