Question about how to tell what gear.

shane93nc

Apr 18, 2003
charlotte,nc
I know this was asked a few weeks ago by another person but i didn't come up with any results after a search so i am asking again.How do you tell what gear is in the rear end without taking it out.I remember a post saying something about turning the rear wheels counting the times the driveshaft turns.Thats all i remember.I am about to crawl under the car and install my speed cal and i wanted to check to make sure i got the right gear in.Thanks Shane.

• Sponsors (?)

look at the rear diff. cover. There should be a tag (looks like a dog tag) bolted on it with some numbers stamped in it. Mine rearend had numbers and letters on it, but just pay attention to the numbers. Figure you'll either have 3.08's, 2.73's, or 3.27's. You will figure it out when you look at it.

ImportEater98 said:
look at the rear diff. cover. There should be a tag (looks like a dog tag) bolted on it with some numbers stamped in it. Mine rearend had numbers and letters on it, but just pay attention to the numbers. Figure you'll either have 3.08's, 2.73's, or 3.27's. You will figure it out when you look at it.
I don't have the stock gears in anymore.....i had a shop install some 4:10's a few weeks ago and i just wanna make sure that i got 4:10's and not anything less.

my best advice to you is, if you are using speedcal and its adjustable. Set it for 4.10's and have a friend go 70 alongside you and see if you are reading 70 on the speed-o. thats the easiest way to do it, if not you should do the tire rotation thing.

ImportEater98 said:
my best advice to you is, if you are using speedcal and its adjustable. Set it for 4.10's and have a friend go 70 alongside you and see if you are reading 70 on the speed-o. thats the easiest way to do it, if not you should do the tire rotation thing.
what is the tire rotatio thing?

Jack the rear (use jackstands!) and mark the driveshaft and the tire (with white chalk or something visible) then turn the tire one full rotation and see how many times the DS rotates. 3 and 3/4 revs is 3.73s, just over 4 revs and you've got 4.10s...you get the idea.