Question about keys and key sets

mcglsr2

Sep 27, 2011
Hey all, I've got a question that I just can't seem to find an answer to. I picked up a used 95 Mustang GT. Apparently, the keys were lost or something at some point, because the keys I got, 1 opened the driver door and another worked the ignition, and none of these were the original keys. I did not have the original keys.

Okay, I want one key to do it all. I bought a new ignition off LMR (the ears on my current ignition were broken) - I got the Ford one, so not the cheapie model. I called a locksmith with what I wanted, and let's just say it's been an ordeal. I'm very disappointed in my experience with the locksmith, I frankly don't believe what they told me (or I am too ignorant to understand what I was being told and they were not able to explain to an idiot) and got over charged.

Alright, so what I wanted was this: I took in my door locks, my trunk lock, and the new keys from the ignition, and said: make these keys work in these locks, and cut it however you want.

The new ignition key had only 5 cuts on it, at the pointy end (according to the instructions, these were positions 1, 2, 3, 4 & 6 - I understand that a locksmith reads from the hilt out, so these numbers would be 10, 9, 8, 7 & 5 for them respectively). The rest of the positions on the key were uncut and intended to be cut to the door locks.

In my naïveté, I dropped off the locks and the new keys for the locksmith. I got a call back from them saying they couldn't do it without the ignition - they would have to re code the new ignition I bought. I asked them why, they tried to explain (basically, their answer was positions 5 & 6 overlap, though I don't know why this is such a big deal), and I just gave up trying to understand. I let them do their thing. The price was...more than I had planned to pay. So I paid it and am done with them.

Now, my question to you guru's out there - can somebody please explain to me, in a manner than I can understand (I am a somewhat intelligent person, so I should be able to understand quite a few different explanations), why it was not possible to do what I had originally asked, without the need for the new ignition? I don't want to disbelieve the locksmith, however he just was not able to explain to me why, and I don't buy what he did present as his explanation. So please, can someone educate me on why the locksmith did what he did, or did he just not know what he was doing, or did I just get taken down the river. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

My friend just had a similiar issue. His ignition tumbler wasn't working correctly. He went straight to the Ford dealer and they matched a new ignition tumbler to his old door lock key and cut 2 new keys for $81. I thought that was real reasonable.

Kurt

My friend just had a similiar issue. His ignition tumbler wasn't working correctly. He went straight to the Ford dealer and they matched a new ignition tumbler to his old door lock key and cut 2 new keys for $81. I thought that was real reasonable.

Kurt

Yah, that sounds much more reasonable that what I landed with. Well, lesson learned the hard way this time I guess. You win some and lose some. I should have gone to the dealer first.

when i got my 95 it came with one key that wouldnt open the passenger door. I ordered a complete Ford branded kit from LMR. I didnt see it on their website i actually had to call about it. It came with the ignition and new door and trunk cylinders all keyed to the same key. IIRC it was like $180.00.

Ok, you can get this done for around $20-30 bucks. I bought an ignition lock cylinder for my stang from Autozone. The key will only be cut on the top portion of the key, that's because that's the part the ignition needs. The lower portion of the key is for the doors. Buy an ignition lock cylinder from autozone, and have a locksmith match the bottom to the new key. I bet you $20 it'll open the doors perfectly fine. Mine did. :)

Good luck.

when i got my 95 it came with one key that wouldnt open the passenger door. I ordered a complete Ford branded kit from LMR. I didnt see it on their website i actually had to call about it. It came with the ignition and new door and trunk cylinders all keyed to the same key. IIRC it was like $180.00.

Actually, I called LMR and asked about buying a lock set for the 95. The guy on the phone told me they didn't have any. I'm not sure why they only carry up to 93s now, but whatever secret backstock they had seems to be gone.

Ok, you can get this done for around $20-30 bucks. I bought an ignition lock cylinder for my stang from Autozone. The key will only be cut on the top portion of the key, that's because that's the part the ignition needs. The lower portion of the key is for the doors. Buy an ignition lock cylinder from autozone, and have a locksmith match the bottom to the new key. I bet you $20 it'll open the doors perfectly fine. Mine did. :)

Good luck.

Gah, yah, okay, see, this is what I'm talking about. The above is my understanding of exactly how easy it should have been. Actually, in my case, it was even easier because the locksmith didn't have to match any keys, he could have made whatever door lock key he wanted and matched the tumblers. Anyway, if anyone is looking to do this, a locksmith is the way to go, just make sure you talk to them enough before hand to get a warm fuzzy that they will actually be able to do it; don't do what I did and tell them what you want and assume that they'll be able to do it. Because that didn't work so great for me.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!