Question about shifting at what rpm

gneal

Mar 31, 2005
OKC, Oklahoma
It's been 20 years since I had a manual and that was on a 79 celica four cylinder engine. I'm interested to know at what rpm's or speed does everyone shift? I know this is pretty much up to each individual and how much he/she wants to rev the engine up before shifting, but I would imagine there is a basic rpm that one should go ahead and shift up to.

I would assume that since this car has so much more hp the point at which to shift would be different. I can tell you that on the celica, once the engine hit about 3,000 rpm's, it was time to shift up.

Any help would be appreciated, just a consensus of about what rpm's everyone is shifting at.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I usually shift at 2500 rpm just crusing around town. But when I want to run her I shift just before the needle hits the red 5700 rpm or so.

P.S. all the gears are much more fun above 4500 rpm

Meat496 said:
I usually shift at 2500 rpm just crusing around town. But when I want to run her I shift just before the needle hits the red 5700 rpm or so.

P.S. all the gears are much more fun above 4500 rpm
:stupid: Same here :stupid:

BTW, didn't mean anything by the sign. Your not stuipd, but it's the only sign with an arrow we have! :flag:

Dave...

cruising in town/traffic - 2000 to 3000, depends on how loud the stereo is, cant hear the engine.

having fun - 5000-6000, although hard to do in town in any gear other than 1 or 2. 3rd tops out at 90mph.