Question for the 5.0 folks - Intakes

Redfire03GT

Sep 10, 2003
Newark, CA.
I'm sure this could either go really well, or really bad as a topic of conversation. But - I have a friend with a 92, completely stock from what I gather. He's leaning towards getting a new intake. I'm not sure if he's looking at both an upper and lower or just the upper but, either way, I'd like the opinion of the wonderful 5.0 crowd to help us with our decision.

Streetability and affordability are always a factor, unfortunately. Although, obviously, we're looking for the best bang for the buck.

ps: It should also be an intake that is readily available for porting. ie: easy access to the plenum, and most of the runner length.

Thanks for any replies. :flag: :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Well, he can get the stock ones ported. Do a search for "thumper" or "tmoss" I forget who but one of these guys does stock porting. I know thumper can port the stock E7s. And people have seen 300rwhp with these ported heads and no forced induction. But as far aftermarket, tell your friend Edelbrock makes really nice intakes. The "performer" would be the choise for him and if he plans on stroking than go with the performer RPM. The performer operates best from idle to 5500. and the rpm is like 1500-6500 I believe. Ask him what his plans are and if he has the internet tell him to get his ass on here and tell us his plans with the car, financial situation/spending limits and things of that nature. But I am kinda biased towards good ole edelbrock. I got the performer on my carb'd combo. Runs beautifully when the pushrods are the right length :(

First choice for economy upgrade is a Tmoss ported lower.

Second choice if the future holds more add ons is a 95-97 Ford Explorer upper & lower. It flows almost as much as the $600 GT40 intake. I got mine off a 96 Explorer with the 19# injectors and 65 MM throttle body for $250. All the factory smog gear lines up & works perfectly, which is great if you live in an area that has smog testing.

i bought the gt40 intake because it looks so cool but it is a bit expensive. the cobra intake has the same lower as the gt40 and can support almost as much hp as the gt40...it is also quite a bit cheaper...i think around $350 or so. good luck!

sodaking663rd said:
i bought the gt40 intake because it looks so cool but it is a bit expensive. the cobra intake has the same lower as the gt40 and can support almost as much hp as the gt40...it is also quite a bit cheaper...i think around $350 or so. good luck!
:stupid:
I love the way a GT-40 looks. :drool:
Plus it's lighter than a cast intake too.

I had gt-40's on both of my stangs, because of the way they look. ( like a header for your intake ) but the truth is that for an intake that been aroung for 12 years they are still hard to beat for a street/strip oreinted setup. when the mags tested the new BBK intake the GT-40 came in second in average hp & tq.

If your friend is not going to be changing heads in the future, then a portred stock lower is the most cost effective way to make more power. If he is going to change heads then look at the GT40/Cobra/Explorer or Eddelbrock Performer intakes.

tmoss said:
If your friend is not going to be changing heads in the future, then a portred stock lower is the most cost effective way to make more power. If he is going to change heads then look at the GT40/Cobra/Explorer or Eddelbrock Performer intakes.
:OT: how much do you get to port a stock lower?

Go with a Typhoon- ultimate budget performance and outruns ported stock stuff. I dont care if it was made in China or where ever blows away the stock stuff! You can access the runners for porting through the plenum and all the smog stuff will hook right up with a little rearrangement. Its emissions legal too.

i love my typhoon, got polished for 429$ on ebay...upper and lower.....u could get satin for 350$ upper and lower, best bang for the buck, looks decent...the only reason to clean it up is if you want to gain an extra 1hp.....if its mostly street he shouldnt care and shouldnt do that....