Question For the Do it Yourselfers on trac control

Yeah I figured it had memory but that is not that iportant to me. I turn it off more than I turn it on so when I do want it on I can flip the switch. Instead of finding out the hard way at the track or on the street against some darn import and look like a poge. I know some people are going to make comments about this but anyone who does more than just cruise in their trac control mustang has some time or another had that trac control kick in during an inoppotune time.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

The PEP unit cannot be easily duplicated. Unlike the $10 radioshack unit, the PEP unit has memory. That means that it remebers on startup what the last setting was. If you are at the track or the weather is nice you can set the trac ctrl on startup to default to OFF. However, if the weather is bad or someone less experienced with the your car (i.e. girlfriend, wife, friend) is driving it, then you can set the trac ctrl to default to ON. Though it seems like a lot of money at first, the unit really pays for itself over the long run. I have one, and I find it to be an invaluable accessory for my car.

For someone that has 8 years experiance in Military Electronics it should be a piece of cake to Reverse Engineering . The memory function is probally a small battery that keeps a certian Flip-Flop to a certian postion. Reverse Engineering something like this should be easy. Heh just give me a few weeks to get the cash to buy one and I will do it.

Spazilton said:
For someone that has 8 years experiance in Military Electronics it should be a piece of cake to Reverse Engineering . The memory function is probally a small battery that keeps a certian Flip-Flop to a certian postion. Reverse Engineering something like this should be easy. Heh just give me a few weeks to get the cash to buy one and I will do it.
Yep can't wait.

Spazilton said:

I know exactly how it works. Reverse engineering it would not be hard at all, but building yourself a copy of it would be a PITA with out designing a PCB. There are a bunch of diodes, resisters, and IC's in the PEP version.

There is nothing wrong with making stuff on your own. I find it a lot of fun. The only problem sometimes a circuit gets too complicated, and that requires a PCB. That is out of most people's league though. The circuit that simply turns off the TC on startup every time is actually something that an eletrical engineer or some with good electronics experience can make with a little work and without a designed PCB. If have experience with this stuff then it might be fun to try, but don't fool yourself if you do not have any electronics knowledge.

I like the PEP desing because of it memory. I don't have to worry about the TC no matter how I set it.

I must be missing something here...why don't you all just push the traction control button to turn off your traction control? Why do you need to rewire the whole thing? Is it worth all the time, money, and effort to do the procedures that you mentioned earlier, rather than pushing a button that is already installed and functioning in the car?

I know exactly how it works. Reverse engineering it would not be hard at all, but building yourself a copy of it would be a PITA with out designing a PCB. There are a bunch of diodes, resisters, and IC's in the PEP version.

Designing a Proto PCB isnt all that hard really, especially since I have been through advanced soldering and fabrication school :) Honestly once I get done with my move I will buy one and do my best to reverse engineer and build a copy. Then post how to do it.

There is nothing wrong with making stuff on your own. I find it a lot of fun. The only problem sometimes a circuit gets too complicated, and that requires a PCB. That is out of most people's league though. The circuit that simply turns off the TC on startup every time is actually something that an eletrical engineer or some with good electronics experience can make with a little work and without a designed PCB. If have experience with this stuff then it might be fun to try, but don't fool yourself if you do not have any electronics knowledge.

Myself personally..8yr Electronics Tech in the Navy, my speciality is PCB Repair, and Fabrication. But I do have to agree, if you cant tell a diode from a resistor, this type of project isnt something you should probally try.

Stanged78 said:
I must be missing something here...why don't you all just push the traction control button to turn off your traction control? Why do you need to rewire the whole thing? Is it worth all the time, money, and effort to do the procedures that you mentioned earlier, rather than pushing a button that is already installed and functioning in the car?
THAT QUESTION WAS ANSWERED TWICE ALREADY. LOOK AT THE FIRST PAGE OF THIS THREAD

Spazilton said:
Designing a Proto PCB isnt all that hard really, especially since I have been through advanced soldering and fabrication school :) Honestly once I get done with my move I will buy one and do my best to reverse engineer and build a copy. Then post how to do it.

That would be good, but I'm sure there are copyrights involved with the unit. You may want to think twice about doing it.

I don't get it.. just press the button! :p

People making wiring diagrams, spending alot of money, time, effort... Just get it into your routine to press the button. When its dark or raining, we know to turn on the lights. When its time to race, just remember to press the button :)

The device I made has no memory but it if you add a small toggle switch on the little plastic enclosure, like I did, when switched off, it defaults again to the factory mode (on at startup). The switch is easily accessible. Here is how the device works. When the ignition key is turned to run, there is a delay (I chose 5 sec.) that allows the factory switch to be part of the traction control bring-up. On my 2003 the LED lights for a brief period and then goes off (appears to be a test). Then this device simply sends 12V from the hot side of the switch to the switch output wire. The duration I used for the 12V pulse is just under 1 second. The actual duration could be much longer or I even believe on all the time after the delay, but I didn’t want that. The device is essentially an automated button pusher.
I like this design because: low out of packet cost (less than $10), can disable it at any time, is simple and quick to make and fun too.
I will post the schematic if I get approval from the person that did the final design for me (favor). I will also post the Radio Shack part numbers. I installed the unit so I don’t have pictures.

Slider said:
The PEP unit cannot be easily duplicated. Unlike the $10 radioshack unit, the PEP unit has memory. That means that it remebers on startup what the last setting was. If you are at the track or the weather is nice you can set the trac ctrl on startup to default to OFF. However, if the weather is bad or someone less experienced with the your car (i.e. girlfriend, wife, friend) is driving it, then you can set the trac ctrl to default to ON. Though it seems like a lot of money at first, the unit really pays for itself over the long run. I have one, and I find it to be an invaluable accessory for my car.
ya, i was doing a burnout at the track last night, and mine came on...

needless to say, on the launch, i broke the spider gears- rear end- gone

I have a design for a traction control disable device. It's been on my Regal GS for a few months now and works fine (more fun in the snow with traction off!). It has the same functions as the PEP unit, and that is that it remembers where you left it. I BRIEFLY considered carrying the product, but decided that the liability was too great. You see, electronic stuff fails. I can forsee someone getting into an accident and blaming the traction control disabling device (it was on and should have been off/it was off and should have been on). Even if the product didn't fail, someone could blame the module and I would have to prove otherwise.

Having said all that, I did see on one of the boards that you don't really need the electronics. To be clear, the electronic units have the memory function (not a battery, btw) and the timer function to "press" the button after a few seconds. On my Buick, you need to have this delay for the traction control computer to read it.

Back to the non-electronic method. I heard that you only need to put a plain old toggle switch across the push button. Flip the switch so that it's made, and your taction control will be off. Flip it so the switch is open, and the traction control can be turned back on. This is easy to test. Hold the button down and start the car. If the traction goes off, then a toggle switch will work.

The down side of this is that if the car is running and you open the switch, then the car won't go back into traction control. You will have to push the button once to get it back on.

-L
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Ok. I want to do it myself too. Screw all this "memory" crap. The thing defaults ON when stock. All I want is to default OFF. If I want it on, I switch it. If I want it off I switch it again or it defaults off next time I start.

So...I do this how?