Question For the Do it Yourselfers on trac control

• Sponsors (?)

FalconGTHO said:
Ok. I want to do it myself too. Screw all this "memory" crap. The thing defaults ON when stock. All I want is to default OFF. If I want it on, I switch it. If I want it off I switch it again or it defaults off next time I start.

So...I do this how?
:stupid:

We could always just buy that one that was in the link posted. But I am guessing you don't want to. :shrug:

webeproducts said:
Back to the non-electronic method. I heard that you only need to put a plain old toggle switch across the push button. Flip the switch so that it's made, and your taction control will be off. Flip it so the switch is open, and the traction control can be turned back on. This is easy to test. Hold the button down and start the car. If the traction goes off, then a toggle switch will work.

The down side of this is that if the car is running and you open the switch, then the car won't go back into traction control. You will have to push the button once to get it back on.
I am going to try that. If it works, then I am wiring in a toggle switch.

And the downside is nothing. I have my traction control off 99.9% of the time anyway.

vipergts281 said:
I am going to try that. If it works, then I am wiring in a toggle switch.

And the downside is nothing. I have my traction control off 99.9% of the time anyway.
if you don't understand what a momentary contact switch is , then you sure don't need to be buiding an electronic circuit. A toggle switch will not do it. If it would , there wouldn't be a need for the unit being sold. The factory switch would be an on off switch and we wouldn't be discussing this.

forpit2000gt said:
if you don't understand what a momentary contact switch is , then you sure don't need to be buiding an electronic circuit.
I wouldn't define "wiring in a toggle switch" as building a electronic circuit.

A toggle switch will not do it. If it would , there wouldn't be a need for the unit being sold. The factory switch would be an on off switch and we wouldn't be discussing this.
Well I'm only going by what a guy, who does sell those units, told me.

vipergts281 said:
Ok, but you are saying that a toggle switch will NOT work? Are you sure about this?

:cheers:

The computer sets the tc control to on at start up, and it has nothing to do with the switch. That is the really annoying part about it. Trac ctrl on is a default inside the computer, and adding a toggle switch will do nothing.

As I said it can be done different then the PEP unit, and it will just always startup to off. Unfortunetly the PEP unit has to cost what it does do to manufacturing costs. I have talked to the owner about it, and only producing small lot of units (100 - 200) it is hard to get them made cheaper. The costs that are not going towards manufacturing are just to help pay for the running the business, things like instructions, connectors, and people's time. I know the owner of PEP personally, and he is a really good guy. Yes, you could probably make the simple t/c unit at radioshack, but you do not get all the great custom service and knowledge that PEP can provide if you have problems. Just MHO.

There is a simple, straight forward way to test if a toggle switch would work. If I had a Mustang, I would have already tested it. Here is the procedure:

1) Turn the car off.

2) Turn the car on. The Traction Control light will be off, so the car is in traction control mode (default traction control on).

3) Press the T/C button and the light will come on, meaning traction control is off.

4) Turn the car off.

5) Turn the car back on. The Traction Control light will be off (back into default mode).

Steps 1-5 are just to verify that your T/C control circuit works correctly.

6) Turn the car off.

7) Press and hold the T/C button. While holding the button, start the car.

8) After a couple seconds, release the T/C button.

Is the traction control off (light on)? If it is, then a simple toggle switch across the momentary push button will do the trick. If the traction control is on (light off), then a toggle won't work.

My GUESS is that the toggle switch will not work. It's too simple, and we would not need the timer circuit (with or without memory) to change the state of the control. Once again, I can't test it, so I'm hoping someone here will.

Let me know if it works an I can probably help you select a switch and offer some tips on how to make the connections.

-L
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Spazilton said:
For someone that has 8 years experiance in Military Electronics it should be a piece of cake to Reverse Engineering . The memory function is probally a small battery that keeps a certian Flip-Flop to a certian postion. Reverse Engineering something like this should be easy. Heh just give me a few weeks to get the cash to buy one and I will do it.

Do you think this is a good idea since you'll be breaking numerous copyright laws, not to mention doing significant damage to a reputable vendor who spent a considerable amount of time doing necessary R&D to bring this product to market?

While I commend you for trying to save money for the group, you are going about it in the wrong way. Do yourself a favor and R&D products you design based on your own ideas, rather than taking the low road and hurting vendors have already invented the wheel. I for one, don't take kindly to this type of behavior, and we do take steps to protect our interests.

Keep the rubber side down, fellas.