Question for the younger Fox guys (22-)

Fett

Nov 2, 2004
After reading the thread about average ages, I noticed a lot of younger guys/girls are here. I am talking about the late teens, early 20s. This question is for you....

Do you look at the Fox body Mustangs as "classic" or "muscle" cars? It got me thinking because I never looked at them as being either...mainly because at 34, I was out of high school when the Fox ended production in 93. So to me these are not "old" cars by any means. Sure they are older...but I don't think of them as old cars in the sense that I always admired the cars of the 60s and 70s. But being that a lot of you are much younger, and some of our cars are older than you....I wondered if you looked at these cars almost in the same way that us older guys looked at cars from the 70s.

Just curious......and feeling old.

• Sponsors (?)

I dont look at them as classic cars like i do the 60-70 era. I guess i consider them muscle cars sort of:shrug: But then again when i think of muscle car I think of the 60's.

I never really gave it any thought, I just love them:nice:

Edit: Yes my car is about 8 months older than me haha.

They are neither to me. They will be classics one day, but for now they arent there yet. The way prices are going, they are heading in the right direction. As far as muscle car, I think of 60s-70s cars, not really fox bodies.

i just consider them cool cars that don't really fall into any category yet. there's plenty of cars older than mine in the parking lot right now. the 80's and early 90's cars will probably never have their own stigma like that. the quality just wasn't there. that time won't really be remembered for much automotive-wise, except the junk that kept coming out.

I dont look at them as classic cars like i do the 60-70 era. I guess i consider them muscle cars sort of:shrug: But then again when i think of muscle car I think of the 60's.

I never really gave it any thought, I just love them:nice:

Edit: Yes my car is about 8 months older than me haha.

Same here. And my Fox is almost exactly two years older than me. I love the Fox !

They are neither to me. They will be classics one day, but for now they arent there yet. The way prices are going, they are heading in the right direction. As far as muscle car, I think of 60s-70s cars, not really fox bodies.

Yep, same here.

They were still being produced up until I was in 3rd grade. I believe my first liking to them came around age 13 or so.

I dont see them as classics. 79 maybe, but not really.

Yes, I see them as muscle cars...but not the same muscle car you'd picture when the term comes up.

Honestly, when I got mine i saw it as neither, but the more people I talked to it seemed to be that the 5.0 fox was a muscle car. GT's more than LX's obviously, but I think you see my point.

My car is also two years younger than I am.

I have an '86 and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I often find myself defending the car, because my friends give me hell for not buying an "old mustang", but with the prices of late 60's metal these days, a good percentage of the people who drive those muscle cars are simply into it for the status symbol it gives them, not because they are true car people. The reason I love my 5.0 is because it symbolizes the pure essence of hot rodding, which is the average working man putting money into a car to make it his own and unique from anybody else. sorry for the RANT but I hate it when people ask me if I think my car is a muscle car because they are often just looking for a reason to bash it and try to talk about how I should have bought a "real mustang". Not that this is what you were meaning, but people outside the hobby just don't seem to understand.

Either way, people are all talk until they ride shotgun in my car. Then they seem to run out of reasons for buying a '68 over my '86.

So is it a muscle car? No. It's a hot rod. :flag:

Same here... When someone uses the term "muscle car" I think of the older camaros and novas ect ect not a fox body.. Ever since I was young I loved fox bodies... I think I got my first ride in one when I was 10( I'm almost 21 now)- it was my dads buddies 86 gt- 5spd - white with black racing stripes.. It only took one ride and I was hooked!! I kick myself in the ass almost everday for selling my old car- but soon enough- I'll have another one and I wont let this one go!

I'm not even that old (27), but I do remember the Fox production coming to an end. I hated the SN95 models when they were released, but then they grew on me and I traded my old POS 90 GT for my 95, and the rest is history. I've had the 95 for 8 years, and I'll probably keep it forever. I definitely need to add another Fox to the stable though!

tough question, i think of them as the last real muscle car i suppose, they are the best thing out there if you dont wanna spend alot of money and you wanna drive a nice american car that whoops on the imports and all the rich guys who spent a ton of money on newer cars...

tough question, i think of them as the last real muscle car i suppose, they are the best thing out there if you dont wanna spend alot of money and you wanna drive a nice american car that whoops on the imports and all the rich guys who spent a ton of money on newer cars...

I see the fox as the car that revived the muscle car. I think of the LS1 f-body as the last of the true muscle cars though.

I think of Vanilla Ice everytime I see a 87-93 GT convertible. "Rollin in my 5.0 with the rag top down so my hair can blow, girlies on the stand by....."

That song was out when I was a kid, so I thought fox bodies were the coolest thing ever!!!!!!

i'm 22 and i remember the first time i saw a foxbody. my uncle owned one and came over the house when i was about 4 and i have loved them ever since. one day i was gonna own one. and now i do :) i dunno what i'd classify them as...modern muscle?