Question on 99-up calipers

Killercanary

The car that set the bar.
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Altoona, PA
I think I remember reading on here that the 99-newer front calipers are made of aluminum and are lighter than our stockers, can anyone confirm this? Has anyone done this swap? If so, what all is needed? I'm looking for ways to lose weight and upgrade at the same time. Any info is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought front take offs from Saleen off an 02 GT a while back, $66 shipped to my door. Don't forget the SS brake lines when you upgrade!

If you call Saleen and they say they don't have any, call back in a day or 2 (I called back a few days later, talked to a different guy...he said it could be 2-4 weeks, they were on my door step 3 days later).

I did it Paul...They are lighter..and work slightly better. The spindle end has to be sanded slightly to fit.

Also, there was a specific bolt that was needed... We did the job at Javi's house, and he had that extra bolt...but I forgot what it was. BTW..the reason was that we swapped lines to SB also. If you keep the stock lines, it should be direct swap.
RC

94GTLaserRC said:
I did it Paul...They are lighter..and work slightly better. The spindle end has to be sanded slightly to fit.

Also, there was a specific bolt that was needed... We did the job at Javi's house, and he had that extra bolt...but I forgot what it was. BTW..the reason was that we swapped lines to SB also. If you keep the stock lines, it should be direct swap.
RC

How much lighter are they?

Oink said ~16lbs for the set lighter. If I do what I have planned, I will be knocking off ~60lbs of unsprung weight, and with moving the battery to the rear... that should be ~100lbs off the nose. I think that will help me on my quest. :D

Rob, where did you get the SB lines at? Do they really make for a better pedal feel? My brakes feel so "spongy." I wanted to go with cobra's up front, but the added weight, and problems with caliper clearance are not worth it to me now.

I've been thinking about this upgrade, since my front brakes are about dead. I think I'm stopping primarily on suspension and tire! :D

Does anyone know of the 99+ rear calipers are also lighter than the stock 94-98 ones? I may wanna go ahead with those if it's enough.

Killercanary said:
Rob, where did you get the SB lines at? Do they really make for a better pedal feel? My brakes feel so "spongy." I wanted to go with cobra's up front, but the added weight, and problems with caliper clearance are not worth it to me now.

Paul - Do you know how much more the Cobra brake weigh up front? I'm thinkin of getting a set for my car.

i m not sure but i think the cobra brakes weigh less than the gt's do because of the calipers being alum instead of steel ! the rotors are vented so i think even if they are bigger they don't weigh that much more ? :shrug: i have my stock brake set up paul and will try and weight it friday afternoon.

Seth5.0 said:
Today on job I been thinking about swaping front calipers and rotors with Cobra ones, so is there any difference betwwen 94-95 and 96-98 Cobra front brakes

The Cobra calipers are PBRs, just like the 99+ mustangs have in the front, but they have bigger pistons I think. They are aluminum.

The Cobra rotors are 13", compared to the '94+ V6/GT stock front rotors, which are 11"

I put the 99+ PBRs on my g/f's '94, and I didn't notice much of a difference. I was told that they help stop better from high speeds, and it seems to be true, as I did find a difference from high speeds, but be careful, the PBRs can warp your 11" rotors if are agressive with the brake (such as 100+mph to 0mph or something of the sort)

Also, one brake line on the 94-98 will not fit with the PBRs, I think it's the right side. I got a brakeline from the right side of a wrecked '01 and it bolted right in on the chassis, and caliper.

I am putting Cobra front brakes on my car as soon as it is warm enough.