Question on painting vinyl, plastic, rubber

eaglecap

Jul 31, 2000
Wondering if anyone knows of a good paint or dye for the following:
Plastic parts like the covers over the seatbelt hangers above your head.
Center console lid on a four speed. I think it is come kind of plastic/rubber.
Backseat panels that act as arm rests. Mine are cracked bad and need replacement but can't find the right color, think they are vinyl.
Dye that works on seatbelts.

• Sponsors (?)

If the seatbelts have faded badly then it is generally better to just replace the belts. Remember the seatbelt comes in direct contact with your clothes so using dye is not an option. As for the center console lid, I'd recommend trying to find one that matches. Dye will work but it will crack and wear from the sweat and pressure of your arm. As for anything plastic, I simply hung the parts on wires and used a high quality paint. If you have an air compressor and a spray gun then go to an automotive paint store and ask their advice. They can help you match your color and work with you on the price. If you don't have a compressor then go to an automotive store and pick up some spray bombs.

d

SEM make a super line of sprays and dyes for fabrics, vinyls and plastics. The stuff works really well and comes in a fair array of colors. We have it at our Car Quest Auto Parts and it's also available at all the automotive paint suppliers too.

As far as dye on seatbelts, i used spray dye on all of mine, and never seen any damage to my clothes. Also dyed the fabric cloth seats in another car. Although the dye will wear off from use, never seen any evidence on my clothes. :nice: