Question Regarding Ford Remanufactured 5.0 Crate Engines

bdep73

Jan 15, 2012
hartford, CT
hey guys I have a tough one for you. I can't seem to find a answer for this anywhere so I thought I would see if anyone here can help me.

I am the second owner of a 1990 mustang gt 5.0. the previous owner blew the engine in 2002. he purchased a ford remanufactured crate engine from ford and had them install it at the dealership. I know the 87 - 92 5.0 engines had TRW forged pistons and the 93's had the cheaper hypereutectic pistons. The question I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere is this, what pisitons came in the ford remanufactured 5.0 engines that were made around the time mine was. did they have the TRW forged pistons like the original factory engines from 87 - 92, did they have the hypereutectic pistons like the 93 - 95 or worse did they have cast pistons.

I am concerned because I am in the process of installing a Paxton Novi 2000, 8 - 10lb kit on the car and if the engine has cast pistons I may be in trouble. The engine has a badge on the underside of the block that reads like this:
REMANUFACTURED FOR FORD
MOTOR COMPANY

Part No:
F1ZZ6V012BRM
LGB153RM 8 cyl

06/21/2002
Serial No:
S00490851

Any help you guys could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Definitely hypers. Why would they reman with forged pistons when they probably had a warehouse full of hypers? They would've used the parts they were currently using in production or the last they used in production, so unless somehow it's a 25 year old reman engine, i'd say definitely hypers.

thanks guys I guess hyper is better than cast

It's a never ending debate. Some will say that because hypers don't expand as much as forged that they hold tighter tolerances and are therefore better for NA builds. Others will say they're a death sentence if you run boost. They're not as forgiving of detonation which is what usually kills them. Personally i'd go forged every time, but that's just me. I run carbs so who knows what could happen with my tune if the weather changed enough and i got bad gas or something like that, i'd rather have all the insurance i can get.