Question regarding power, altitude and longevity

Gray02GT

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2002
Eaton, Colorado
Allright, I have an 03 Cobra and I want to chip/pulley.

I live up in CO at around 5800 feet. Im probably only putting around 320-330rwhp down up here, maybe a little more with my current mods (obviously more SAE, but im talking actual power).

My question is, does this turn into less wear and tear, or is it simply the same wear and tear but im making less power because there is less air up here. Its obviously easier on the clutch, transmission and rear but im talking actual engine.

I ask because I really want to keep my car in the safe zone, as I wont be able to purchase a daily driver for a year and can't really afford to have any problems. I do however want to chip and pulley, and that would bring me up to right around 400rwhp (not sae of course), which is just a little over what stock cobras would make. So if I did a chip and pulley up here would I basically be seeing the same stress on the engine as a near stock cobra would at lower altitude? Obviously the blower would have more stress, but aside from that? I really want to pulley and it would really help my peace of mind if I knew I was really only getting the power a stockish cobra is used to handling.

May seem like a silly question, but im always very anal. I do plan to do a new heat exchanger eventually as well.

Anyway, any input would be much appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)