Question: What Kind Of Gas Do You Put In Your Pony?... Does It Matter?

Mega-Man

Aug 6, 2004
Sammamish, WA
I completely forgot to ask this a few weeks ago, but just saw a post reminding me to ask. What do you use? Does it matter what brand / octane it is?

I personally use Cheveron (when I can), the 87 stuff. Should I be taken out back and shot? If so, please give me a good reason before doing so. :)

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

usually if there isnt a problem while running regular (no pinging/detonation) then there's no reason to run high octane. i use regular in mine.
high octane is only needed when u have a tune/timing adjuster/nitrous/blown/etc.

87, diff. brands.

I have been running 89 in mine lately, but I notice no difference. So, I'm going back to the 87. I use Shell, BP and Exxon. Seems to run equally well on all of them.

I run 93 now because my timing is set at 15*. When it was stock I tried both 87 and 93 it ran fine on both. If I were you I'd run the 87 because its like 20cents cheaper a gallon. I usually buy gas from whatever station is cheaper as long as it doesnt look too ghetto, I hear stations in the same area use the same gas anyway but I'm not sure if thats true.

:damnit: sorry double post

Just like most say above. With the factory chip and tune of the car you only need 87 Octane, but if there is pinging go up to 89. I was running 89 anyways just for peace of mind, but that is my personal preference. Now I run 91 due to the SCT tune, and It dont bother me one bit :D

Also, to the guys running 93 octane :fuss: <---Jealousy

Would love too. 91 cali oxygenated gas or whatever, (farting noise) What a bunch of horse puckey :nonono:

If a car is basically stock, n/a, has stock ignition timing, and no power adders, 87 octane is all that is needed. You won't make any more power by running a higher octane. The only thing you're doing is decreasing your gas mileage and wasting money. If it's having problems with pinging on 87 octane, most likely the gas is contaminated, the fuel system is dirty, or its something else wrong with the car, not the octane.

I use Exxon 87 octane and Amsoil PI fuel additive at every tank. My car runs fine and I get about 22-23mpg on the open highway and not real sure about my in town gas mileage. Thats with all the mods in my sig. as well.

Awesome--thanks much guys for all of the replies. 87 it is then! My wallet, and wife (not in this particular order) will be happy to hear I don't need to spend any more money than I have to. :)

Again, thanks much for the feedback!

Biilyfe390 why would you run 100 octane at the track? The higher the octane the less horsepoer you will make. Use as low an octane as you can without pinging for maxium hp.

1ba96gt said:
Biilyfe390 why would you run 100 octane at the track? The higher the octane the less horsepoer you will make. Use as low an octane as you can without pinging for maxium hp.

Maybe he has a 4-bank chip or something and has a program for some killer timing and/or fuel maps that are used only at the track :shrug: