Questions about cutting my Stang

voodooRunner

Oct 21, 2009
I finally decided that several patch panels are necessary to move forward. (The screwdriver actually decided this for me when it kept punching through the pitted trunk floor.)

As far as cutting out old panels, trimming new patches, grinding edges and smoothing out welds, what air tools are best for the jobs?

Should I get a dedicated 3" cutoff saw or go with an angle die grinder with cutoff discs? Will I need a larger (4.5") angle grinder?

I will be cutting out trunk pans, floor pans, bottoms of both doors, and replacing the radio cut-out in the dash.

• Sponsors (?)

Good call on the spot weld drill.

So that's one recommendation for a reciprocating saw over a rotary saw. Any other suggestions? Aiming for clean, precision cuts, maneuverability in tight places, etc.

Thanks.

tin snips too. I wasn't saying sawzall over cutoff wheels. Both of them. The sawzall is good at ripping though big panels quickly. I got pretty good at cutting straight lines with it, and is I was really worried I used the jig saw. The cutoff wheel was a tad slower, and not really any more precise. But there where times where it was the only thing that would fit or make shallow enough cuts. I don't think there is one tool that will do all the jobs is I guess what I am getting at.

Ditto on the "no one tool works" statement. I am cutting floors, quarters, and door skin patches. In big areas like the quarters, I used an angle grinder and jig saw (don't worry about removing it as one piece, make them small and more easily handled). Tighter spaces I used a body saw. The spot weld cutter is the best investment I made, just make sure you get plenty of replacement bits, and use lots of oil while drilling to make them last longer. Also a word from experience, do the metal removal then order the replacement panels. What started as "just patching the lower quarter" has resulted in a whole quarter panel, outer wheel well, and trunk drop off panels. Just my .02 worth

To get started, I'll go with a set of aviation snips, spot weld cutter/bits, and maybe an angle die grinder with cutoff saw. Do you guys think something like this would work for most applications--sawing/grinding--or should I go with a 4.5" angle grinder?
41IO9yGC2gL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, how necessary is it to have sub frame connector or other extra bracing in place when doing floor pan work? I don't know how much I'll be cutting out yet (rear passenger is shot, up to and probably beyond the seat riser), so I may be patching a nearly full length pan on one side.