Questions about the combo I'm putting together!!!

Numbles

Dec 10, 2003
Chicago, IL
This winter I am going to go one of 2 routes with the motor. I would like to get my vert in the 12's with stock heads. I know this will be almost impossible. Can it be done with say an FTI cam and ported stockers. And of course, good driving and all the bolt ons.

The other thing I wanna do which is really an addition to the above, is put a kit on the car. Maybe a 100-125 dry. What would that kind of combo get me. So far a zex is the one im deceded on. Where does everyone mount the nozzle. Has anyone hid the box in the fender or anyhting. Pics too?

Also, go-stang5.0 has a set of edelbrock heads in his garage. They are off of his blown 306 if you guys remember his thread about it. He has afr185's now with his 331 and I wanna get his edelbrocks. The one problem is that they need some work. Anyone know what it will cost to repair two heavily damaged valves and one combustions chamber. And probably a port job while Im in there.

Just throwin out some random questions, seems like the posts in this place were below average today. Thought Id add a thread.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmmm... 12's on the stock head in a 'vert... GOOD LUCK. You know the saying... "never say never" but that is a lofty goal. I base this on knowing what I ran... a 13.83 at 98.55 with a 1.91 60'. BUT, with a DEDICATED setup, meaning on set up without compromise to hit 12's on ported E7's... it could be a possibility. I don't think you'd want to drive it on the street, but it could be done. Do a **** load of weight reduction, big and littles, 4.10 or lower gears, ported and milled heads, an intake, a new cam, etc. Any reason why you want to do this? I really think you'd be better off getting a cheap set of GT40P's or something of the like. There's aguy on the corral in a vert running mid 12's on GT40p's. He goes by redsn95vert or something like that. As for nitrous... I can't help you there as I have NO experience with it. I like what I hear about the Zex kit and how it works, but I think I remeber seeing people here slam it, I could be wrong.

As for what an FTI/stock head combo can do, check out what Bob Cosby did with his old fox body coupe. Stock heads, stock intake, FTI cam, speed density... 11's! Granted the parts were worked very worked over, but it ran the numbers because that what Bob wanted it to do. It has been covered HUNDREDS of times on the corral so if you search you'll find the info, it was also covered in MM&FF back in like '97 or earlier. Here's a link to Bob's site where you can contact him for more info if you'd like...
http://members.cox.net/bobcosby/stang/12sec.html

Well I figured if it was dedicated to that purpose it could be done. Im thinking about switching to a 4.10 anyways for starters.

But what about ported edelbrocks. Go-stang5.0 is willing to let them go for cheap. And since I will be having them worked, casting flash removed on the intake, and all that stuff I though it would be worth it, IF I could break a 12 with it. I know with the zex I will be able to break 12's with my combo right now. I have no doubt in my mind. But thats not exactly a challenge. 12's with a n/a vert is.

Robin if your reading this, call me or PM me pics of the heads so I can send them to a few places to look at. I tried calling but couldn't get through.