Questions about Trick Flow heads

FiveLtrRiceEatr

Oct 2, 2004
Michigan
Ok, I've been talking back and forth to my dad about my future in rebuild and the plans that we've come up. We are having trouble deciding on heads and intake. Winter of 05-06, I am rebuilding my fox's engine. So I have sometime, but I want to have some what of a idea of cylinder heads and intake.

The plan is to have a streetable N/A engine until a year or 2 later when I can buy a supercharger because I'm 16 and working 2 jobs to do this. So I'm on a budget. The engine is going to be stroked to a 331 and comp cam streetable cam, new lifters, new balancer, (basically everything).

I was wondering about Trick Flow heads because they are on a 23 degree instead of the 16. He said that it would be harder to install espically for the exhaust because everything wouldn't line up, I'm wondering for those who have or had trick flows is that true? I've heard so much about how trick flows are the way to go with stroker 5ohs.

• Sponsors (?)

I think the TFS twisted wedge is the best overall head you can use. Although it is not the best flowing head available (it is one of the best though) the shape of the chamber is very efficient. With a stock motor there are sometimes clearance issues with big cams. If you are building a stroker it doesn't matter because you can buy TFS specific/compatible pistons...hell, you can fly cut almost any piston. Its not an issue if you haven't even started yet and haven't bought any parts.

trick flows

i just finished doing the top end of my 89...i got the tfs twisted wedge..they were ported and polished on both the intake and the exhaust side....got an e 303 cam with trick flow roller rockers...and intake...i couldnt be more happier with the combo...as i have got it dynoed 286rwhp @ 5000 rpm &304ft lbs torque....and the hp was still on a climb but i have a msd6al with a 5000 rpm pill in it right now and those numbers are achieved without a single tune yet....hoping to get it dyno tuned soon cause it runs a little lean at idle then a little rich at higher rpms....either way...i wouldnt have picked another combo if i could

lxwants12's said:
i just finished doing the top end of my 89...i got the tfs twisted wedge..they were ported and polished on both the intake and the exhaust side....got an e 303 cam with trick flow roller rockers...and intake...i couldnt be more happier with the combo...as i have got it dynoed 286rwhp @ 5000 rpm &304ft lbs torque....and the hp was still on a climb but i have a msd6al with a 5000 rpm pill in it right now and those numbers are achieved without a single tune yet....hoping to get it dyno tuned soon cause it runs a little lean at idle then a little rich at higher rpms....either way...i wouldnt have picked another combo if i could

are those all the mods you have done to your stang's engine? impressive numbers. I want to go with a little more aggressive comp cam though. I've been looking at the "high ports" and "twisted wedge" heads which are better for an eventually supercharged engine? and about instaling a new exhaust with trick flow heads will my new headers and exhaust I plan on buying have to be messed around with?

you wont have any clearence problems and everything should line up just fine, i know a guy at my track and he had long tubes with his trick flow tw heads and the combo worked very well:)

No TW's will use any stock type exhaust. Only the TFS high ports need special headers. High ports are another story altogether. Not many of us make enough power for those....Street heat and track heat heads are for the big dogs.

heads

no u wont have a prolem mounting exhaust..i have bbk long tubes with ...at first the left side header was rubbing on the steeriing shaft..but i realized my motor mount was broked so replaced that and its about half inch away from the header...but im not gonna lie the headers were a bitch to get in...the shortys r easy....

QDRHRSE said:
No TW's will use any stock type exhaust. Only the TFS high ports need special headers. High ports are another story altogether. Not many of us make enough power for those....Street heat and track heat heads are for the big dogs.

Ok I was leaning more to fox lake stage 1 ported TWs anyways thanks for clearing that up.

lxwants12's said:
no u wont have a prolem mounting exhaust..i have bbk long tubes with ...at first the left side header was rubbing on the steeriing shaft..but i realized my motor mount was broked so replaced that and its about half inch away from the header...but im not gonna lie the headers were a bitch to get in...the shortys r easy....

Ya all longtubes have their difficulties

love tfs

I got track heats with a r series intake, long tube headers from mac all on my new 347. I got 10.5:1 compression with a tfs stage 2 cam. NO clearance issues to speak of, no flycutting etc etc etc. I love the tfs heads. I strongly recommend them to anyone who wants an awesome head. I haven't got it tuned yet, but the power is already insane. good luck

mcvey90 said:
I got track heats with a r series intake, long tube headers from mac all on my new 347. I got 10.5:1 compression with a tfs stage 2 cam. NO clearance issues to speak of, no flycutting etc etc etc. I love the tfs heads. I strongly recommend them to anyone who wants an awesome head. I haven't got it tuned yet, but the power is already insane. good luck

seems like there a strong opinion to go with trick flows :nice: I've been reading up alot on them, they seem to have an average with the different angle and the twisted wedge in the chamber.