Questions From A New Forum Member. Not An Owner Yet.

Jim Bronson

Aug 8, 2016
I stopped by a dealer today just for a preliminary look. I was disappointed by the lack of knowledge and abruptness of the sales lady. So I will probably try another dealer next week.

Anyway, I sat in a GT and it felt really good. I didn't have time for a test drive, although one was offered.

Two questions arose. First, what gear ratio is preferred to lower the torque curve? The performance package includes the Torsen rear end with the 3.73 ratio. Will this make the engine "torquier" at the low end? The sales lady knew nothing about this. Even I have a basic understanding, but I'm not sure how it applies to the Mustang. I looked up the Torsen design, and it is a very clever design. She may want to spend some time doing the same. End of rant.

The second question is what is the best source for invoice pricing? I usually deal up from invoice rather than down from MSRP. Or is there a better way?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a good link to do some reading for basic gearing principals.

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm...ct_id=398/category_id=13/mode=prod/prd398.htm

As far as your pricing goes I grabbed my 16 GT for 25,409 (Base Model) Find a big dealer that prides themselves on numbers of sales and even if they lose money on your sale, you are just a drop of water in a pond. Other then that just badger and argue. Took me 6 hours to get my price.

I went to a dealer that prides themselves on the number of units sold. I also came in knowing that I only wanted to pay a reasonable 400 a month, This was last year when they offered 0% for 72 months. I ended up getting my payment to 403.50 because I was stealing the car and I had 5500 down.

I dropped into the same dealer on Monday and was helped by a young guy who seemed very knowledgeable. I asked him a few technical questions that I already knew the answer to, and he answered them correctly. He was also very personable and patient, so I wound up ordering from him. The test drive got me hooked. The next six to eight weeks will be the longest of my life.

Sucks ordering a car because you have to put down a deposit them it's hard to negotiate price. I got my GT before down-payment to 29k when it was 2016 just got delivered to the dealer. With the black package and some other packages I don't remember. After down-payment 24k.

Well, they didn't require a deposit or any paperwork to be signed. They just said they would charge me invoice price, but they didn't know exactly what it would be until the car is shipped. The sales guy said the holdback would be around 1500, so they're golden. We used a comparable car to estimate invoice. When I pick it up, I may add some dealer add-ons if I'm in the mood. BTW, I'm a repeat customer, so they probably know I won't back out. I kinda hate to see my Escape go, but I don't need two cars.