quick idle decell

armyof1

Mar 30, 2005
hey guys, this seems stupid to ask, but i think my 94 gt winds down to slowly when i let off the gas or between shifts. is there a way to make her get down in rpm's quicker, like on carbs, the throttle return spring and so forth. how or can i do this on the gt? thanks oh mighty guru's......:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

If this recently started (and was not like that before), I would look for a vac leak.

Otherwise, if it does this while the car is rolling, the VSS and puter are keeping the idle artificially elevated.

And beyond that, it can take some decent coin to reduce reciprocating and/or rotational weight to allow quicker spool up and down.

Good luck.

I'm almost certain the hanging idle you're talking about is common on the 94-95's. They heavily retard timing between shifts unlike their 86-93 brethren, and it causes the idle to hang temporarily. Mine has done this since day one. I'm sure there's a way to change this with a tune, but I'm the wrong person to talk to on that one!

A custom tune will do away with the "tip-in timing" between shifts but a cheaper route is a IAC restrictor plate. Look in the "94-95 tuning" secton of this web site, I have a thread about the plates. I actually had 24 of them made and gave them all away for free, but I have no more and do not know when I will get any more. If your interested, there are people selling them on ebay for $5-15, just search for "restrictor plate". My thread has a pic of the plate. I love it and so has every body who got one. If you have any questions just ask, but read my thread first.