Quick master cylinder rod length question

tjnavyblue

Feb 21, 2007
Just got a new 79' Granada manual master cylinder from Napa. The new rod appears to be almost 1" longer than the rod from the original master cylinder. Also, I don't see how to remove a rod from the master cylinder once I get it in there, so I want to do it right the first time.

Should I use the old rod (drum/drum manual), or use the new rod that came with the Granada master cylinder?

68 coupe, granada spindles

• Sponsors (?)

Just got a new 79' Granada manual master cylinder from Napa. The new rod appears to be almost 1" longer than the rod from the original master cylinder. Also, I don't see how to remove a rod from the master cylinder once I get it in there, so I want to do it right the first time.

Should I use the old rod (drum/drum manual), or use the new rod that came with the Granada master cylinder?

68 coupe, granada spindles

Use the original one from your Mustang.

So I just yank it out? Is there a technique to pulling those rods out without ruining it? There's a retainer clip on the new one that doesn't look like it would come out easily...

Thanks

The old master cylinder (it's a 68 coupe) was dual already. Apparently I can't use it because it was made for a drum/drum set up, and not for the disc/drum setup I have now. From other threads I gather they operate differently.

Still no thoughts on removing the rod from the MC?