quick noob question

• Sponsors (?)

I've read that if its really hot out an you run with out one it will over heat. Sounds like the coolant will flow through the radiator so fast it won't have time to cool it or cools it a lot less. Pick up one of the better ones from summit that are around 14-16 bucks that when they fail they fail in the open position.

Don't run your car without a thermostat. The cooler the engine runs the faster it will wear. I'm guessing your just running parts store thermostats if your having this many go bad, or you have some other issues that need to be addressed. Maybe some of the other guys will chime in with some suggestions as to what your problem may be. Either way, get yourself a good thermostat like the 180 degree Mr. Gasket ones. They seem to work well and are highly recomended around here.

I agree with the above. I had someproblems going through t-stats and finally i flushed the system twice and stuck a new one in there and it never went bad again. Turned out someasshat before me put stop leak in it to try and fix the heater core and it just made things worse. I had to flush my system 3 times to get it fully clean. I reccomend that first.

Let alone that in Michigan, you will need the stat during the Fall, Winter (even if you store the car, I assume you let it run occasionally) and Spring.

Good luck.