Quick question about window molding removal

NicD

Mar 4, 2004
What's the safest way to remove the front and rear window molding on a 90GT without damaging the molding, and without that pronged tool specifically for this application? I want to take them off and spray them.

Thanks in advance, folks.

• Sponsors (?)

SCORPION said:
spray them with what?....you are putting them back on afterwards?

Yes, I inted to flat black paint them and put them back on, which is why I'm trying to limit damage during removal. Right now they're faded and it really takes away from the appearance of the car. I know I could buy them new, but am trying to save money for performance parts.

I was able to remove the moulding on the front windshield by removing the cowl cover and then the plastic pieces left and right of the cowl, and then gently lifting the one side (Left or Right) upward and inward toward the windshield until I got to the top moulding and then I slid downward from behind the upper moulding. But I had absolutely no luck in removing the rear hatch mouldings. :shrug:

Have you tried posting this in the Body Shop?

i just removed mine when i painted my car. They are held on by clips around the window and car. If u can lift them up a little bit to see the clip, you should be able to get a screwdirver in there and pop the clip and they come right off. Use a scratch pad on them first, then spray them. Mine looked perfect when they went back on.

I saw in 5.0&SF today that Dugan Racing now does quarter-window refurbishments. $300 and your old windows will get you a new pair. Looks like a good deal to me, it'll be interesting to see if people are well satisfied.

Ash

I used a regular hammer to sneak under and start to pry up gently. You just have to be really careful, and try to pry close to the clips, if you can get a feel where they are. Bends are a beotch to get out once you put them in. Also, I would recommend a satin black, it more closely resembles the stock color and will match and look better. Not gloss, mind you, but satin. I did the cowl cover, the window moldings and the wiper pieces and it turned out great.