Quick Rearend Question

99stallion

Aug 1, 2007
yeah i know i'm in the wrong forum but i want to see what you guys think. here goes:

i have a '99 v6 and am going to throw an 8.8 in it. i pretty much just need the housing and mounting material since i'm putting a new t-lok, gears, and axles in it. my question is this: i'm going to get moser 31 spline axles, should i order just the axles or should i go with the axle and spool package? there's a significant price difference and i'm kind of on a budget. so basically, should i get the spool from moser or stick with stock? :shrug:

here's the link: Moser Engineering

the axle set is 4th from the bottom, and the package is at the bottom.

thanks fellas.

• Sponsors (?)

No. A spool can't slip, so the car bucks and hops every time you pull into or out of a parking spot or made a tight turn. Not useful for a street car, only useful for a drag car. The stress it puts the axles through is not good if you plan on driving the car on the street.

I don't think you can use the stock differential, if that's what you meant by "stick with stock." You need a differential for 31 spline axles. Ford Racing sells them for much less than Moser.

sorry, i should have specified. i'm getting 31 spline axles AND 31 spline ford t-lok. i was just wondering about the spool. the car is still going to be street driven. so just stick with the axles and forget the spool?

I drive daily with a detroit locker, and it's not so bad. I at least have the advantage of when I go around a corner, as long as I am coasting, it's not locked up. With a spool, you would be getting a ton of rear tire scrub, and would cook through rear tires real fast. Also, with a spool, you have to run c-clip eliminators which are complicated to set up with disc brakes. I don't think you can run ABS with them. If you're gonna daily drive it, I'd suggest getting 31 spline Mosers and a Torsen diff, locker, or a nice Auburn unit, depending on what your power and driving goals are.

As for the axles, are you going to be hooking up the ABS? You'll need the [FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]A883153 axles if you're going 31 spline with ABS, and with a 99+ 8.8 axle. The 8.8 changed widths throughout the years, so make sure you get appropriate axles for whichever housing you end up with. If you want to retain the stock wheel offset in the rear, you'll need a 99+ axle. Also, those [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]A883153[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] axles only come with ABS tone ring adapters. You'll need to get a set of tone rings for them to retain ABS. I had a shop try to remove my old ones to press onto my 31 spline axles, but they snapped. I've dealt with a lot of this axle business, so if you need to know anything in specific, just ask! Also, FRPP gears are your friend!
[/FONT]

the housing will most definately come out of a 99-04 GT. i don't think i will be hooking up the ABS, seems like it would be kind of a pain. as for the differential, how big of a difference is there between a ford racing t-lok and an auburn differential?

the housing will most definately come out of a 99-04 GT. i don't think i will be hooking up the ABS, seems like it would be kind of a pain. as for the differential, how big of a difference is there between a ford racing t-lok and an auburn differential?

The Auburn uses cone style clutches and has the best torque bias out of any aftermarket diffs. If you plan on dragging this thing a lot, I would consider the Auburn. If it's going to be driven more on the street, you could always rebuild a regular 8.8 lsd with carbon clutches, and slip one extra clutch disc into either side. That essentially gives you a locker style performance until they wear down a bit.

i was actually looking at a ford racing t-lok that has carbon discs. and since there's not a track anywhere near me, it sounds like the better deal...for the money anyways. but therein lies another problem, they are considering building a track here and i would be there every once in awhile but i dont know if it would be enough to need something like an auburn. and the other thing is that the car will be putting somewhere between 450-600 to the wheels when i'm done. so do you think i should just go with the auburn?

i was actually looking at a ford racing t-lok that has carbon discs. and since there's not a track anywhere near me, it sounds like the better deal...for the money anyways. but therein lies another problem, they are considering building a track here and i would be there every once in awhile but i dont know if it would be enough to need something like an auburn. and the other thing is that the car will be putting somewhere between 450-600 to the wheels when i'm done. so do you think i should just go with the auburn?

Are you only interested in the straight line performance of this, or do you plan on doing anything remotely like AutoX? if it's just gonna be a fun street vehicle with occasional drag strip action, I would just get a carbon clutch set for a standard LSD. If it's going to see more strip action, Auburn. A ton of strip and some street, locker. All strip, spool. All autoX, Torsen diff.

well it sounds like the t-lok with carbon discs is my best bet. because its going to be more of a street car with a few occasional strip trips. oh, and one more thing, do you guys know of the stock brakes on a v6 will bolt onto an 8.8?