quick subframes questions

squeeeg

Founding Member
Jul 4, 2000
Michigan
Which is better round tubular subframes or the square ones that connect to the seat bolts as well. I am looking at ebay and they have both and i was wondering which is better. What are the pros and cons of both.

• Sponsors (?)

The cross member that connects to the seat bolts is going to be better, it wont let the seat bolts rip the sheet metal (floor pan). Steeda makes round subframes that have the option of cross members, however I have heard that the rectangular ones are just as strong, offer better ground clearance, and give you more surface area to be welded. I think it is completely preference though.

Technically, round will be stronger than square (stress points), however, given the fact that there is less area to weld and less ground clearance -- it certainly is a toss-up. Personally, I have alwasy had square tubing.

[I've used both, and the round ones seem to make it much stiffer and support more stress and weight. They are probably about the same for street driving, but we have used the round ones much more on the track. (road race)

The tubular subs I have really don't hang any lower than the exhaust (I'll post some pics tomorrow if nobody beats me to it) . The car seems to be realtively stiff considering it's a t-top car w/ only welded subs stiffening the chassis at this point. I've always heard the tubular subs are stronger but any form of subframe is better than none at all.

bigsparky said:
Does anyone have pics of round ones put in?? I'd like to see how low they actually are

You can see them if you look really closely......I have never had a problem with the being too low.

facc2499.jpg

ram360 said:
The tubular subs I have really don't hang any lower than the exhaust (I'll post some pics tomorrow if nobody beats me to it) . The car seems to be realtively stiff considering it's a t-top car w/ only welded subs stiffening the chassis at this point. I've always heard the tubular subs are stronger but any form of subframe is better than none at all.

I would appreciate the pics!!

thanks cevtv.. that helps a bit!

Were they hard to weld in?? I looked on the passenger side where it welds up to the frame near the back, and there's a line of some sort (fuel, brake??) and it seems to be in teh way.. what did you do with it?

bigsparky said:

Were they hard to weld in?? I looked on the passenger side where it welds up to the frame near the back, and there's a line of some sort (fuel, brake??) and it seems to be in teh way.. what did you do with it?

I didn't do the welding...... That is indeed a fuel line, it can be moved out of the way no problem. The subs made an amazing difference in the car. :nice:

bigsparky said:

looks like he beat me to it. I have the same exact subs on my car.

bigsparky said:
It's a bent steel line.. how can it be moved??? That's the only thing i'm concerned about. Would you be able to get a picture of that for me?

There is a clip that holds it in place, remove the clip and you can move it. I'd be able to get a picture if there wasn't all knids of snow and salt on the ground....... it's supposed to rain in the next couple of days - if the driveway clears up, I'll grab a pic.

cevtv said:
There is a clip that holds it in place, remove the clip and you can move it. I'd be able to get a picture if there wasn't all knids of snow and salt on the ground....... it's supposed to rain in the next couple of days - if the driveway clears up, I'll grab a pic.

I'm not sure what you are talking about (I can't look at mine right now either) but if you could get a pic I would greatly appreciate it. If you want, could you send it to my e-mail? [email protected]
thanks a lot

yeah, mine are the square one, with seat brackets. They run from the Front at the Firewall to the rear torque boxes. They're awesome, currently I'm putting in the 6 point Cage. When I finish this thing will be rock solid.