quiet, yet mean mufflers?!?

beaver2489

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
st. joseph missouri
my motor with the flowmasters, headers, O/R X-pipe is too loud to have my son in the car...I need to get a quieter muffler, yet I want it to still sound nice. What mufflers would you recommend? I know the dynomax superturbos are quiet, but they sound too much like stock mufflers.

• Sponsors (?)

I like my Hooker MAXFlows.
They have a nice low idle, which at times can be very deep, but are not loud.
But once the foot hits the floor, they really open up! They are very loud at WOT, but docile during every day driving.
They will have a rasp to them as they break in, but I love them.
Oh, and most importantly, no drone.

Yeah, I have heard magnaflows are nice and quite until you make them scream.

Flowmasters tend to transmit alot of noise inside the vehicle. They are known for thier drone.

I have had both flowmasters and magna flow. I absolutely love magna flow because their stainless steel and has a very low growl but sound mean as heck when you drop the hammer. If noise is an issue for your son, go with magna flow.

Be careful Beaver - I've put an insane amount into mufflers on my car trying to find something that is quieter than most of what's available out there. And it's all been in vain so far. I've tried various combinations of Flow Master, Bassani, Magnaflow and Spin Tech - all are too loud for me. I'm still trying to figure it out. There simply doesn't seem to be much middle ground between stock systems that are too quiet and aftermarket systems that are too loud - at least for me.

I spent about 2 hours at the Arvin-Maremont factory/tech center last week. Hooked up with a couple of great guys down there that work in the Tech center where they test/design new systems. In addition to serving the national muffler chains with oem stuff, they make the old Cherry-bomb line of glasspacks and turbo-style mufflers, as the newer line of Vortech mufflers. www.supremeperformance.com They told me that one of the things that was killing me volume-wise was the lack of cats. The newer high flow cats do a great job of sound attenuation with little negative impact on flow. So I may actually put cats back on mine - interestingly enough - in order to quiet it down. I've been searching this thing for months now - I'm just determined not to spend any more $ until I've got a system I know will achieve the volume reduction I'm after. Volume level is EXTREMELY subjective - so beware anyone that says 'mine's much quieter'. What may be quiet to them can be quite loud to you. You almost have to ride in it to know what 'quiet' means. Also, system configuration has to be identical. If they have cats and you don't - that makes a difference. If they have a prochamber or X and you have an h-pipe, that makes a difference. If they have long tubes and you have shorties, that makes a difference. Good luck - and let me know if you solve it before I do. Some day all these kids out there are gonna get old, and they're gonna want to quiet them down. I'd like to be able to tell 'em how to do it!

I bought a set of borla xs's after owning a set of flowmaster delta 50's, my car is a '67 fastback,331, no cats, 2 1/2" pipes x over and exit at the rear bumber. the drone was almost unbearable...it was fine at 90 mph but at 60-75 it just plain sucked. the borlas stopped my neighbors from complainig,my ears from hurting and still feels like I'm getting my 343 rwhp If I ever build another car it will have borla's I've been thinking of selling my fastback and adding more $ to get a turbo 911 I wonder if they'ed fit Jim

I have a Magna Flowhigh flow x pipe with cats because in CA you must have cats. Its way more quiet than an off road H/X pipe. Id say stick with a catted x pipe and get the Magna Flow cat back system. I also use BBK shorty headers. My blower is louder than my exhaust and I love that sound way better tham my exhaust. Magna Flows wont rust ever and flowmasters, although they sound insane will turn orange and rust out on you in a couple years. Every shop I go to the main tech guy recommends either magna flow or borla due to the stainless steel and its niceness for a daily driver.

I replaced 2-chamber flows with magnaflows and the car is Much quieter . I am much happier with the car now as it no longer attracts unwanted attention.

Disclamer: Loud as hell when wot