Quietest Performance Muffler?????

Srpera

Jan 8, 2004
MA
Is there a concensus on what is the quietest performance muffler? My guess is that to quiet down exhaust noise, it will require adding restriction. Some companies probably do this more efficiently than others.

I have the MAC Pro Chamber and MAC Catback opening up the flowage. I want to replace the mufflers with a pair of mufflers that are high flow (or semi-high flow), but sound as close to stock as possible (sleeper). Plus, living without the drone would be a nice benefit too :)

• Sponsors (?)

I ordered a set of Magnaflow Mufflers (#3 on list) part #11236. Waiting to see how they sound installed with a MAC Pro Chamber and MAC catback (now to be a hybrid catback).

11236.jpg

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

My regular magnaflows are pretty god damn loud. They seemed to get louder with age.:shrug:

Stock catback is obviously quietest and aftermarket cat-backs dont really do much for power at all.
I guess if your blown it could become restrictive enough to be significant.:shrug:

My regular magnaflows are pretty god damn loud. They seemed to get louder with age.:shrug:

Stock catback is obviously quietest and aftermarket cat-backs dont really do much for power at all.
I guess if your blown it could become restrictive enough to be significant.:shrug:

That is not what I wanted to hear. I don't care about much about small hp increases/decreases. I just want her to be quieter that the MAC Flowpaths on there now. Your saying your Magnaflows are loud? That's not so nice. Maybe I should have went with the Borla Pro XS mufflers.

Yes regular Magnaflows can get pretty loud.

Heard them on a 4.6 Cougar and they were dumped under the car, made a good bit of noise... but they arent un bearable just not quiet.

yep

Dude, you are running an O/R midpipe. No cats = loud.

I have the Magnaflows welded into my stock cat back and this is the quietest catback I have ever had on a Mustang (had Flowpaths on my 99GT and dronemasters on my 88 LX.)

I have a catted prochamber in the garage awaiting install, but even that wont be super loud because the cats keep things toned down pretty well.

My buddy has Dynomax Super Turbos on his 94 Cobra. They are pretty quiet too, definatley even more quiet than the Magnaflows.

Dude, you are running an O/R midpipe. No cats = loud.

I have the Magnaflows welded into my stock cat back and this is the quietest catback I have ever had on a Mustang (had Flowpaths on my 99GT and dronemasters on my 88 LX.)

I have a catted prochamber in the garage awaiting install, but even that wont be super loud because the cats keep things toned down pretty well.

My buddy has Dynomax Super Turbos on his 94 Cobra. They are pretty quiet too, definatley even more quiet than the Magnaflows.

See, real world experience beats the testing. You claim that the Dynomax is quieter than the Magnaflow, yet 5.0 magazine claims Magnaflow is quieter.

3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.

I changed my order. I am now going to try the Dynomax Super Turbo #17734.

View attachment 390684

Hopefully these will quiet things down alot.

Ah boy, I have those on my Ram with a 440, and they aren't as quiet as I thought they would be. MUCH quieter than the dronemasters that were on it, and only a pinch louder than your average Maremont. For as big and heavy as the muffler was, it's not nearly as quiet as I figured it would have been.

Why are you ordering offset mufflers? I think my maganflow catback uses center/center. BUT i could be wrong.

And yes the magnaflows will be about the quietest setup you could do. I think your making a mistake with those super turbos. Im not sure how well they flow, but the magnaflows are one of the best flowing mufflers out there....and oddly enough one of the quietest.

My regular Magnaflows are pretty damn quiet to me. I have an MRT catted h & Magnaflow catback. U can tell its not stock but I would definately say its not loud. U can barely tell @ idle, & it only gets loud when u stomp on it. U would still be a sleeper with a semi loud exhaust cuz almost every stang has Flowmasters on them anyway. After going on a run with a bunch of Stangs last night, which all of them seemed to have an off road x or h with packs or flows, my exhaust almost sounded too quiet to me now. I definately dont miss the rasp & drone of Flows & an off road x. Heres a clip of mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP59Mb_7i_k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRVGdFiO9ck