quuestion for all the small block Ford guys...

when machining a 302 block (1969) do you need to clearance the cyl walls for a 331 stroker kit? I know you need to do this for a 347 but im getting mixed info on the 331. i would like to figure this out ASAP. block is going to the machine shop monday. i will be building the engine in June when i get back home to MI

• Sponsors (?)

Hi,
To add to your question's question? I, personally, installed a 331 stroker kit to my OEM '64 May built 289....no skirt clearance needed and I had about .075" clearance. It has been disputed, the skirt lengths are different. I offered this challenge a few years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 106
how long (in hours) do you think the job will take? it dosent seem like too bad of a job to do

Hi,
One you install the rotating assy. then begin rotating and marking the striking zones it would not take long. If the Dremel seems too slow, then, get a more aggressive carbide cutter and drill motor. It's not rocket science. You basically make a concave cut in the edge of the skirt allowing about .070-.080 clearance. If you do it, you'll feel like you have a stake and will be proud to say you had a part in building your engine.
Happy Trails!

you may not have to clearance the cylinder walls. mock the engine up and see what kind of clearance you have first. if you have to clearance the cylinders, then i agree with using a dremel tool to do it yourself.