R ARP head bolts reusable?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah the only reason the factory bolts are un-usable is b/c they are torque to yield, i.e. you torque it to a specific setting, then use a special dial to turn the bolt a specific amount of degrees to yield the final torque.

I don't see why you couldn't use the ARP bolts over and over again...
Scott

i would have used my arp bolts if it wasnt that I am going to studs...You can use a micrometer and measure the bolts and check them..they have a certain tolerance calling arp will give you their figures. The only reason u cant reuse them is if they are overstreched...

You need to realize how steel works and what torque to yield means . . .

Steel is almost perfectly elastic (meaning it returns to it's initial state if stretched) untill it reaches 'Fy' (yield stress). Yield stress indicates the point at which any more stress will induce plastic deformation. In other words, once you remove the stress, it will have a certain amount of permanent (inelastic) deformation.

ARP head bolts are made of a high tensile strength steel. They have an Fy of something like 180,000 psi where your typical steel building is only made of 50,000 psi steel. Typical bolts are around 80,000 psi yield. So you would need to put twice as much torque on the bolt to actually get it to yield. So in theory, you can use it an infinite number of times. The fallacy in that is that your bolts go through heat cycles and vibration which DO have long term effects on the bolt strength.